Advice for new writers

The perils of writing about sex

Harper Lee Died on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
This thread popped up in my Quora feed. The answer from Andy Weir, the author of The Martian is pithy and accurate:

1) You have to actually write. Daydreaming about the book you’re going to write someday isn’t writing. It’s daydreaming. Open your word processor and start writing.

2) Resist the urge to tell friends and family your story. I know it’s hard because you want to talk about it and they’re (sometimes) interested in hearing about it. But it satisfies your need for an audience, which diminishes your motivation to actually write it. Make a rule: The only way for anyone to ever hear about your stories is to read them.

3) This is the best time in history to self-publish. There’s no old-boy network between you and your readers. You can self-publish an ebook to major distributors (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.) without any financial risk on your part.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-...-trying-to-make-it-in-todays-publishing-world

There's some useful threads on writing in the Related Questions section below this answer, though I should warn you that Quora is a great way to get distracted from the actual task of writing your magnum opus.

I teach English and I also lead some creative writing sessions with both children and adults. My advice is get writing and keep writing until you have reached the end of your story. Don't stop writing that first draft.
Then, edit, and when you edit, be prepared to ditch anywhere from the first paragraph to the first page to the first 15-20 pages. Or maybe even more.
Other things that I think are essential are:
1) Read your story aloud, dialogue and description alike. First of all, if you get bored by a section, chances are your readers will too. Second, it helps enormously with both the overall flow and structure of the story as well as nitty gritty details of punctuation and spelling. Finally, it allows you to get to know it better and prepares you well for further editing and revision.
2) Work out ways to spend time with your people - your characters. When walking, cooking, drawing and often last thing at night, the people and places come to me and I can immerse myself in their world.
3) Be eclectic. Read beyond your favourite genres, go and see things that you wouldn't normally see: if you've never been to a classical music concert, go, if you have never seen a rock band live, go, if you hate sports, attend a match of some sort.
4) Practice in a disciplined way - it might not be every day, but use your time wisely and be regular in your writing. It should be an inviolable time. Even if you write diddly-squat, be there, in the chair.

And now I'm going to practice what I preach and get writing. Am very stuck at the moment, but the only way to de-stick is to write my way out of it even if what I write is pants and has to be cut later.

I disagree with point 2, because when I receive positive feedback on my story idea, it only feeds my need to get back to writing. I want the rest of the world to react the same way those few I describe it to do :)

A couple of my own:

1) Try new things. I love my little box and my little routine. I can mostly guarantee that I get my work done. But (and I recognize a lot of this has come from marrying a man who *doesn't* do routines like I do) I've started trying new and fun things. Things that, before, I would have thought "well that looks interesting, but I don't know that I want to spend the money/time on it". Like going on ghost tours or travelling or even just trying new restaurants. It opens you up to a whole slew of new experiences and, in turn, the potential for more story ideas.

2) If you're serious about being published and wanting to eventually become a full-time writer, treat writing like a full-time job. Even if you already have a full-time job that pays the bills. People ask me about my "writing hobby" and I correct them. It's not a hobby. It's a job. Do you know how many hours a week I put into writing and related activities? A lot. Between writing, researching, editing, being active on social media, etc, I basically have a full-time job. And, though, I can definitely take sick days at work, I can't just spur of the moment decide not to do anything for two weeks. That'll get me fired. Same with writing.

This thread popped up in my Quora feed. The answer from Andy Weir, the author of The Martian is pithy and accurate:

1) You have to actually write. Daydreaming about the book you’re going to write someday isn’t writing. It’s daydreaming. Open your word processor and start writing.

2) Resist the urge to tell friends and family your story. I know it’s hard because you want to talk about it and they’re (sometimes) interested in hearing about it. But it satisfies your need for an audience, which diminishes your motivation to actually write it. Make a rule: The only way for anyone to ever hear about your stories is to read them.

3) This is the best time in history to self-publish. There’s no old-boy network between you and your readers. You can self-publish an ebook to major distributors (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.) without any financial risk on your part.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-...-trying-to-make-it-in-todays-publishing-world

There's some useful threads on writing in the Related Questions section below this answer, though I should warn you that Quora is a great way to get distracted from the actual task of writing your magnum opus.
I love Quora for this reason. It's like the Millennials' newspaper.

First drafts are always a real pleasure... at least most of the way along. I don't focus too much on structural concepts during a draft. That's for the editing, when the work begins. Drafts are the pleasure part. I also agree on not explaining a story verbally. Doesn't work except if you're lucky enough to be riding an elevator with an agent who sells your genre.

Generally, I don't talk about stories with anyone, because on the whole I find it a bad idea. However, sometimes the creative process needs a little discussion, and for that I turn to my creative consultant--my husband. His mind works in ways mine never will, so he can sometimes find a way out if I've written myself into a corner, or he sees a creative possibility that I haven't considered. And the fact that he isn't a writer, and is happy for me to use his ideas (or ignore them) in whatever way I want, makes it no-stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The perils of writing about sex

Harper Lee Died on Friday

Back