A Script Writer's Story: Hadrian's Memoirs, A Movie Never Made

Dark Matter: Book to Movie: One Fan's Home Made Trailer.

A

Fanfare! Merlin and Ceridwen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Listening to a Litopia podcast earlier today, about a novel, Memoirs of Hadrian by Margeurite Yourcenar, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, though I watched and read I, Claudius, and in general, it's my kind of thing.

Mention was made of John Boorman and a movie of the novel, and Excalibur was something special so I started Googling the Hadrian movie.

But it seems it didn't actually ever happen. Here's a scriptwriter's inside experience:

https://ronbase.wordpress.com/tag/memoirs-of-hadrian/

Housesteads camp on Hadrian's Wall is a place of utter magic. Even if the Romans stationed there thought, perfectly understandably, it was a effing dump as they shivered in their cloaks and trews in the fog and rain.

Hadrian's_wall_at_Cuddy's_Crags_and_Housesteads_Crags_-_geograph.org.uk_-_404992.jpg

Hm, certainly interesting. given in part because I've used this wall in one novel (Merlin and Ceridwen), and the historical facts. ;)

Is this the novel with Katherine of Aragon in it (Or Catherine, but I prefer the Spanish K which was the spelling used during her life) But I imagine it's another novel and I'm confusing them? She lived 500 years plus later than the mythical? Merlin.
Michel_Sittow_002.jpg

Interesting, I have that exact same photo somewhere! Although I spelt it with a 'C', it is indeed the right time period for the novel. As for Merlin, he's immortal so and pop up in any time period, and he does ;)

I see she used his correct original name as well as mentioning the name Geoffrey of Monmouth then gave to him, which lead from Latin to English and finally Merlin. When you've had your named changed so much. wouldn't get get a little 'huffy' and show no mercy for being polite? I sympathise with Merlin, although I paint him as a cantankerous old man, but then it's an act on his part ;)

Edit, um, one should proof read their own words before posting.... ops!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I don't know: maybe he's Ok with it. All things and people and entities very great have lots of names and styles of address. Many things to many people. Maybe Merlin takes it as a tribute to his legendary stature.

It's a wiki piccy, commons use classic. Merlin, I suppose can go anywhere. This Merlin story painted me a very frightening world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Crystal-Cave-Merlin-Trilogy/dp/1444737481

Oh yes, I remember reading those books when I was a kid; my Mum was a great fan, and I would read whatever was lying around the house, even unto Woman's Weekly. In fact I read the Crystal Cave again very recently. Her style seems slightly dated from today's perspective, but I still think Mary Stewart did a very good treatment of the legends. Some of her other books are worth a read too.

Listening to a Litopia podcast earlier today, about a novel, Memoirs of Hadrian by Margeurite Yourcenar, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, though I watched and read I, Claudius, and in general, it's my kind of thing.

Mention was made of John Boorman and a movie of the novel, and Excalibur was something special so I started Googling the Hadrian movie.

But it seems it didn't actually ever happen. Here's a scriptwriter's inside experience:

https://ronbase.wordpress.com/tag/memoirs-of-hadrian/

Housesteads camp on Hadrian's Wall is a place of utter magic. Even if the Romans stationed there thought, perfectly understandably, it was a effing dump as they shivered in their cloaks and trews in the fog and rain.

Hadrian's_wall_at_Cuddy's_Crags_and_Housesteads_Crags_-_geograph.org.uk_-_404992.jpg
Beautiful picture I could live there in a tent quite happily

I liked that clip from Excalibur, but where was his long grey beard? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Matter: Book to Movie: One Fan's Home Made Trailer.

A

Fanfare! Merlin and Ceridwen

Back