Your Write Space

M

Fanfare! Stasis: The Videogame

Golden Lines from the recent RWA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damian North

Sky Arts used to host a great programme called the Book Club. A segment of the programme involved interviewing authors in their 'Write Space' . I thought it fascinating every week, watching where writers craft their skills, from tables under stairways to studies that looked like the oval office.

I know I'm new to this forum, but I thought it would be interesting to show our Writing Spaces - the place where we craft the dreams into the written word.

I converted my loft several years ago, had a major clear out at the beginning the summer - This is the view from my desk ....
writing room.jpg

Would love to see your Writing Spaces.

Carol - That looks class. So organised. It took me a week to clear out my study in July.

My writing space is my laptop on my lap, wherever I may be and whenever the mood takes me. I do most of my writing in my living room, either next to my hubby or when he's out. I don't have a designated area for writing, my home being a one bed flat; it's not that spacious. :)

Jennifer, I admire people who can write anywhere. It's like the commuters heading into and out of London, typing away on laptops etc... I'm too easily distracted. I need my silence punctuated with a ticking clock in order to get my head around my thoughts. No music, Tv or radio. The door is closed and only ever opened for the beagle to come in and listen to what I've written.

I do most of my writing in my living room, either next to my hubby or when he's out. I don't have a designated area for writing, my home being a one bed flat; it's not that spacious. :)
I feel ya. I have a studio apartment, so our bed is the only place to sit that isn't the floor. Ergo, most of my writing is done on my bed as well. There have been a few times where I've been able to concentrate while I'm at Barnes & Noble, but that's rare, so I usually don't go out when I need to create new words. Other people's words tend to get in the way.

image1.JPG
My writing space is at work, for an A/V integration company. It's also my social networking headquarters.

Am I the only one who is surrounded by dust, post-its, scribbled notes, three half-drunk cups of tea and a GrumpyCat soft toy? Why is everyone so tidy? I don't get it.
*Looks at desk* Guilty. :( Although it isn't a Grumpy Cat, it's a Xenomorph plush thing that I'm sure would stare at me if he had eyes.

All your work spaces look and sound fabulous! I've actually thought about renting an office (or a garage actually, haha) to use as a writing space. Somewhere out of the home so that I associate it with work and I can use the walls as giant plotting boards. Somewhere also away from the internet...I hate you, YouTube sidebar of hell.

I've heard of another writer using an attic (I think) with a set of stairs on the outside of the house to get to it. Every morning they'd get dressed for work and just walk to the top of the house. I feel like I need to do something like this sometimes. But, I guarantee, I'd be stumbling up those stairs in my pyjamas and one shoe.

I'd say it's another classic mistake made by most villains @Jason Byrne; giving subordinates poor weaponry and insufficient training. How different SW would be if only the storm-troopers were accurate marksmen/women/clones/whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Fanfare! Stasis: The Videogame

Golden Lines from the recent RWA Conference

Back