Question: Your Thoughts, Please…

Book Review: The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies

Question: Light and dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If as Jake says this would be a hub for already existing blogs, newsletters and web pages of those who've self-published then not sure why it needs contributors. I'm still confused as to who the reader and target audience is.

@AgentPete, I agree completely on not changing the Huddle, but my suggestion was reacting to publishing creative work for outside readers wo any sort of quality control or direction. Magazines have a specified target audience and content is chosen based on knowing what that audience wants. I've been looking for magazines that provide some feedback because I want to learn the market. I need to know what works, what doesn't and what is selling. What does your idea offer me in return for my work?

If this is only for internal then OK, but if I only have time to read TYM's blog or the Litopia blog I'm afraid I'm going with the proven source. You asked for writers, but who are your readers?

Last edited:
If as Jake says this would be a hub for already existing blogs, newsletters and web pages of those who've self-published then not sure why it needs contributors. I'm still confused as to who the reader and target audience is.
This isn’t intended to be a hub for pre-existing blogs, no. I agree that there would be absolutely no point in simply republishing stuff that’s already out there.

As far as the “target market” is concerned, I’m having a hard time defining it. The closest I can get is “people who would enjoy reading it” which is of course tautological.

Frankly, although I’ve already done a lot of the technical work behind the scenes to make this happen, I have no problem at all knocking it on the head if either folk aren’t interested in doing it or if it will fail to attract readers. So this is an important issue.

Does a blog have to have a target market?

I actually don’t know.

There are certainly blogs that are very narrow in their focus, e.g. luxury watch collectors.

Do we need to target with that sort of granularity?

Personally, I subscribe to some book recommendation newsletters (*) simply on the basis that whatever the author chooses to write about, a few of their recommendations will surprise me and sometimes I end up buying.

You could say, well that’s the “book recommendations” target market, then. But I’d dispute that. I’m not actually looking for book recommendations(!). God knows there are enough sites offering that. It's just… I like the authors’ take and taste. Is that a target market…? i don't really think so.

(*) I’ve set up a newsletter function that will send out weekly updates for those (like me) who won’t remember to visit a blog regularly.

Btw, you can see how it’s looking here, any comments / suggestions more than welcome:

Category: Blog

I just want to make it clear that I’m not trying to ram this through. It was merely a suggestion.

P.

This isn’t intended to be a hub for pre-existing blogs, no. I agree that there would be absolutely no point in simply republishing stuff that’s already out there.

As far as the “target market” is concerned, I’m having a hard time defining it. The closest I can get is “people who would enjoy reading it” which is of course tautological.

Frankly, although I’ve already done a lot of the technical work behind the scenes to make this happen, I have no problem at all knocking it on the head if either folk aren’t interested in doing it or if it will fail to attract readers. So this is an important issue.

I actually don’t know.

There are certainly blogs that are very narrow in their focus, e.g. luxury watch collectors.

Personally, I subscribe to some book recommendation newsletters (*) simply on the basis that whatever the author chooses to write about, a few of their recommendations will surprise me and sometimes I end up buying.

You could say, well that’s the “book recommendations” target market, then. But I’d dispute that. I’m not actually looking for book recommendations(!). God knows there are enough sites offering that. It's just… I like the authors’ take and taste. Is that a target market…? i don't really think so.

(*) I’ve set up a newsletter function that will send out weekly updates for those (like me) who won’t remember to visit a blog regularly.

Btw, you can see how it’s looking here, any comments / suggestions more than welcome:

I just want to make it clear that I’m not trying to ram this through. It was merely a suggestion.

P.

Yeah, i didn't mean preexisting content. I meant pooling readership.
People who follow me could be directed to the Litopia blog where they'd find additional content and perhaps a new author to read while I pump out the next book.

As for content, people's interests are as varied as snowflakes. There's certain to be something to grab there interest.

As long as the blogs are writing/story in focus (you could write about movie plots, video game plots, why they worked for you or didn't.)

Ok, I agree Jasmine Firestorm and Tommy Nutter have great taste. I would include Viktor E Frankl's , "Man's Search for Meaning" in the list of definitive books for writers. I'm all for brainstorming, but I see two realities: A. We are still amateurs in need of practice. MS Firestorm and M. Nutter seem to have more professional skills. B. We have limited time as readers and writers so there needs to be some kind of structure that gives purpose to the time spent on this project.
Maybe chose a topic of interest to all writers? For example:

1.). "If you hit the Brendan Sanderson lottery what would you do with all that subsequent time and money."
2.) "Pick a book or movie that failed but you think you could fix with an alternate ending or slight rewrite."
3.)" Chose a bit of overheard dialog and write a story incorporating it."
4."What does your muse look like? Writer her or him into existence and show us who they are."

Just a few topics that I would happily read about from anyone no matter their skill level and would be fun for me to write. I'm sure with the creative minds on here an endless supply could be brainstormed. . Plus I would encourage video, photography, and other visual media for this creative playbox. When stuck writing I find the best thing I can do is work on something else I enjoy creating. Sew, photograph, paint....

Last edited:

I actually don’t know.

P.
I think you should keep it simple at first, @AgentPete . A weekly video vlog of you interviewing an author sounds to me interesting and I would watch that and I think you have a good chance of gathering followers/subscribers of both readers and writers. Every week I get perhaps a dozen newsletters coming through about writers for writers written by writers. Now and again I'll glance at one, but usually I don't have time and it's usually a writer who's in love with his or her own voice. But to watch an interview with an author whilst having a cup of tea.... I'll make time for that... begrudgingly... :rolleyes:

I actually don’t know.

P.
WOW @AgentPete such a blog looks FABULOUS!!! if ours can become like that, please do not even dream to think of taking it down.

Last edited:

I actually don’t know.

P.
That's great! I like the choice aspect. There's some there I wouldn't bother reading but other's I would. I like the fact I can do a quick skim then read one or two or three or choose to wait until next time. :)

I actually don’t know.

P.
I'm interested! I like the appearance of the blog :)

I think you should keep it simple at first, @AgentPete . A weekly video vlog of you interviewing an author sounds to me interesting and I would watch that and I think you have a good chance of gathering followers/subscribers of both readers and writers. Every week I get perhaps a dozen newsletters coming through about writers for writers written by writers. Now and again I'll glance at one, but usually I don't have time and it's usually a writer who's in love with his or her own voice. But to watch an interview with an author whilst having a cup of tea.... I'll make time for that... begrudgingly... :rolleyes:
I’m very interested in doing that, Tim, particularly the self-published who have made a success out of it.

But I don’t see these things as mutually exclusive…?

I unapologetically identify with being a writer who is in love with my own voice: that's why I used to blog, lol.

Lots of people seem interested in contributing and it's completely voluntary so... I can't see any downside? Give it a try, see what happens!

It seems like a good idea to have some sort of theme that fits the general Litopia brand - e.g., mostly writerly hints & tips plus some insider titbits from those who've successfully published? That would give it focus. With perhaps a limited number of slots each month for short fiction & off-topic pieces to add colour?

I think we should aim at a broader audience not just writers. If we blog about writing, other writers are the only audience we are going to have, and those writers already have their own sites for that stuff anyway.

I don’t think we need to complicate it too much. If it’s a ‘shared blog’, then all Litopians should have the chance to submit content. If the editors get snowed under with offerings, then they just need to shut up shop to further submissions until any backlog is cleared.

Being an eclectic (that word again) mix of writers, then the content should be an eclectic (and again) mix of offerings: articles about writing topics/techniques/etc, promotion of publication triumphs, book recommendations, author recommendations, short stories, poetry, flash fiction, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Not forgetting the life cycle of pond snails, of course. As a radical poet may well have once put it… pond snails just wanna have fun.

As far as readers go, I’m sure all Litopians are members of other online communities (writing related or not)…. the onus is on all of us to advertise the blog, and provide links in order to attract as big a following as possible.

I’m looking forward to it, and I hope I get the chance to submit one or two of my doolally pieces. All power to BIG Pete’s elbow.

Lots of people seem interested in contributing and it's completely voluntary so... I can't see any downside? Give it a try, see what happens!

It seems like a good idea to have some sort of theme that fits the general Litopia brand - e.g., mostly writerly hints & tips plus some insider titbits from those who've successfully published? That would give it focus. With perhaps a limited number of slots each month for short fiction & off-topic pieces to add colour?
There are so many sources out there for writing tips I could see this getting boring very quickly. And it does ignore what I think is the greatest asset of the Genius forum formerly know as the Genius Room, the creative genii in all of us. I would suggest as a model something that would be the writer equivalent of an indoor playground.

Litopians at work.

There are so many sources out there for writing tips I could see this getting boring very quickly. And it does ignore what I think is the greatest asset of the Genius forum formerly know as the Genius Room, the creative genii in all of us. I would suggest as a model something that would be the writer equivalent of an indoor playground.

Litopians at work.

Dear @Pamela Jo, I'm not sure my wonky disposition could manage many of those activities.

Thank you, everyone, for your invaluable discussion here. You’ve given it a brilliant airing and I’ve learnt a lot.

My idea initially was simply to get an external shared blog going that allowed our members to experiment with / gain experience of building and running a modest public platform. EG writing posts that involve the reader, headlines that compel, social media posts that promote, learning how to handle the tech, etc.

However, as revealed by the discussion, I gave very little thought to the end consumer. I’m going to can the project for the moment. The tech will remain in place in case we want to resurrect the idea at some point in the future. Will lock this thread now, and again, thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Review: The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies

Question: Light and dark?

Back