Writing Tips from Successful Authors

Fanfare! Short story accepted ...

Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
From today's Guardian, a useful article full of wise advice from well-known authors.

My best writing tip by William Boyd, Jeanette Winterson, Amit Chaudhuri and more

I like what Blake Morrison has to say about going with the flow, embracing change when new ideas appear about how to tackle a scene. After all, if the writer isn't intrigued by what's going to happen next, why should the reader care?

6683.jpg

Great tips. Plan your ending is a very good tip to not only keep in mind, but actually carry out! ;) Meaning I love reading this stuff but by the time i close my computer, i´ve forgotten them already!

My tips:
1. Butt in chair
2. Write every day
3. Stop comparing yourself to others
4. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will either
5. Why aren't you writing?

:D

I love William Boyd's work, esp. 'Restless', but I just cannot write knowing the ending. Writing a story is for me a an adventure, an exploration. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

I love your skill - I have no idea how to start a story without knowing the ending. It just manifests instantly, well sort of. It might change but I always know what's going to happen. I sometimes think maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

My tips:
1. Butt in chair
2. Write every day
3. Stop comparing yourself to others
4. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will either
5. Why aren't you writing?

:D
Yup!

I always ace #1 every time.
#2 needs more focus but I do write on social media - does that count :D
#3 am learning this slowly but I do like to compare my writing to others with the benefit of improving it.
#4 I do believe in my books! I do believe in my books! I do I do I do!
#5 .....#2?

I agree with @Emurelda --I compare my writing with others for the sake of improving it. I analyse books I love to try to figure out why they're better than mine, then I try to use that understanding to improve my own. I compare because I believe in myself--in my ability to improve as a writer. I believe in the books I've written, but I know the best is yet to come...and always will be.

It's worth remembering when we're looking to console ourselves in times of doubt, that we are unique and no one can tell our stories but us. Learning from other writers, by analysing their techniques, can be beneficial—but not if it causes you to doubt yourself. Ultimately, comparisons are odious.

It's impossible for us to be fully objective about our abilities, and to judge whether the story we devoted so much effort to creating actually works as a story. Only one thing is sure in the whole process: it won't exist unless we write it.

There's a quote by the prolific Anonymous, that I remind myself of when tackling any stage of writing a novel. It's pithy advice, aimed at steeling one's resolve to get through life, but it applies to writing very well:

Of all the people you will know in a lifetime, you are the only one you will never leave nor lose. To the question of your life, you are the only answer. To the problems in your life, you are the only solution.

Fabulous post above this one, @Paul Whybrow!! Guess I've been around a long time and that's why it appears to me that all this advice - top 10 this, top 15 that, 5 surefire steps to (fill in the blank) all sounds the same after a while.

Essentially, this game boils down to two things. 1 - Do you want to write for the sake of writing, or are you merely chasing the numbers? 2 - Are you willing to put in the work to finish a book?

Because let's face it. Reading everything ever written by all those "famous" writers out there on HOW to do this still won't finish your manuscript for you. At some point, you need to write it. And then keep writing it until it's done. You can distract yourself with the endless lists and blogs posts that spew advice by saying this is "writing work," but is it really? I suppose when it all starts getting repetitious, the way it did a while ago for me, one might realize there really is no magic formula out there. All these other writers are doing is sharing what worked for them. But again, all of that still won't write for you.

Not saying it isn't great to read advice if it actually helps you, but don't feel it's necessary to devour all of it. It's not. You've read a lot already. I know you have - all of you. You know what to do and what not to do. So stop browsing and start writing. Advice is no good to anyone in any field unless you actually apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Short story accepted ...

Am I crazy?

Back