Writing is Boring!

Information Dumps

How do you arouse emotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
An outsider’s view of being an author is something like this: write a story, make a couple of corrections yourself, then, with the help of an editor insert a comma you’d missed out (silly me!), before getting your book published (no mention of querying) and making oodles of money while receiving adulation from adoring fans. Then, laze around a bit, before penning a best-selling sequel.

As anyone who’s attempted to write a book knows, there’s a lot more to the process than that, and much of the work is boring.

Don’t get me wrong, I love creating a story—my soul takes flight with joy and parts of my brain activate that are normally dormant, helping me out with ideas beaming in from the ether while awake and asleep. I also enjoy the research, which makes me feel brainier than I am!

Editing the work is the first bit of tedium to appear. I’ve learnt to edit as I go along, staying in a chapter for a few days, rather than do it all after typing The End. That was the approach I took with my first novel, which, at 180,00 words was only 100,000 words longer than the recommended word count! I was lost for five months, though I managed to excise 40,000 words.

That story The Perfect Murderer has returned to haunt me, as I’ve devoted three months to turn it into an audiobook. Narrating isn’t entirely onerous, but, believe me, re-recording (and remastering) sections owing to mispronunciation and noise interference soon becomes tiresome.

As for mastering, I think it’s the most boring task I’ve ever done, and, believe me, I’ve done a few, such as factory production line where I did the same action endless times daily. Mastering a recorded chapter requires great attention to detail, eliminating little gasps of breath and adjusting the spacing between words, sentences and paragraphs to make it sound natural. I’m on the fourth trawl through my recording, which put me in mind of rearranging thousands of tins on the shelves of a huge supermarket. I timed how long it took me to master a 15-minute chapter: the answer was two-and-a-half hours! Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? Try it.

The boredom of querying literary agents would be alleviated if the dear hearts could get together and choose a standardised format. As it is, most want something slightly different from their rivals. Thus, unpublished writers are required to change fonts, word counts, length of submission and how much detail is needed in the synopsis. Some agents are going over to a standardised online submission form, which makes being a supplicant easier. Once a query is made, one waits for a form letter of rejection or, after several months, it sinks in that they’re not going to reply at all. Tell me that’s not boring, though it does encourage one to grow a hide as thick as a rhinoceros. :rhinoceros:

Mastering the business side of promoting your humble self and your wonderful book or books means being immodest and churning out content for your blog, the website devoted to your work, social media you’ve joined...all to get your name out there, in the hope that you’ll impress potential readers. And, you should be posting regularly. It’s more of a chore than artistry.

Waiting around for a literary agent to notice you, while debut authors get published whose book is in no way special or better than yours is boring. How long does one have to wait for acknowledgement? Years. Many boring years. in which you’ll start to doubt your talent and wonder why you ever began writing.

But, you’re tougher than the rest, and you accept that being bored is as much a part of writing as being frustrated, disappointed and rejected.

Do I have a point?

iu

These are literally the very next lines I read in my current read (!!):

Writing is hard work . . . work that makes strenuous demands on your unconscious. Said Unconscious goes along. But it wants reward for effort. If no reward comes . . . if you press too hard, if you drive too long, if you insist on labor without respite . . . Unconscious balks.

Swain, Dwight V.. Techniques of the Selling Writer (p. 289). University of Oklahoma Press. Kindle Edition.

These are literally the very next lines I read in my current read (!!):

Writing is hard work . . . work that makes strenuous demands on your unconscious. Said Unconscious goes along. But it wants reward for effort. If no reward comes . . . if you press too hard, if you drive too long, if you insist on labor without respite . . . Unconscious balks.

Swain, Dwight V.. Techniques of the Selling Writer (p. 289). University of Oklahoma Press. Kindle Edition.
I've had a watch on that book on eBay for a while. Is it worth reading?

Absolutely! It comes recommended by @Rich. and @Steve C.

Dwight can be brutally honest at times, and he comes from a time without internet, when westerns were the rage (I don't think fantasy was even a genre!). But I skim-read the bits out of date because I still find little nuggets of gold in amongst the older stuff (like above, around 90%, but amongst older stuff that could have easily seen the book put down). But the actual writing advice hasn't changed and is very gritty.

Absolutely! It comes recommended by @Rich. and @Steve C.

Dwight can be brutally honest at times, and he comes from a time without internet, when westerns were the rage (I don't think fantasy was even a genre!). But I skim-read the bits out of date because I still find little nuggets of gold in amongst the older stuff (like above, around 90%, but amongst older stuff that could have easily seen the book put down). But the actual writing advice hasn't changed and is very gritty.
Westerns! My favourite genre alongside fantasy and old sci-fi :D it was so easy back then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Information Dumps

How do you arouse emotion?

Back