Book Giveaway!

A

Another Near Miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kelly Michelle Baker

Hello all,

I wrote a quick blog on my thoughts about bad manuscripts, and why they are NOT a waste of time (click the image to read). There's nothing to be learned here, not really, but it's my personal experience. I'd love to hear your thoughts on 'bad manuscripts' and if they were worth your while:

Good article, very insightful. I liked the picture and extract. Some good advice to be had.

Bad manuscripts help, like you said. They are the stones needed to polish our "rough cuts" into something better. Diamonds aren't worth as much until they are cut and polished. I did like the picture, too!

I agree! My blah chick lit novel was a great way for me to get better at writing relationships and personalities. By writing a book that pretty much was ONLY about relationships and personalities, I was able to explore many different ones, and hone those skills for the next, more interesting book, in which relationships are only part of the story. As with any skill, you need to practice, and you can't practice without writing some pretty lousy stuff at first!

Thanks, all. I'm glad I'm not the only one hiding a bad manuscript, haha! Furthermore, I'm glad you were able to learn something from your own personal lemons. I suppose that makes it worth it in the end!

I started out writing terrible fan-fiction of Resident Evil, Pokémon, and The Legend of Zelda. Then I started crossovers (Pokémon to the rescue against the zombies)! In my defense, that was ages eleven to eighteen. That was... maybe fourteen books? Finally, I started working on my own ideas, and turning out something even remotely worthwhile. I wrote another fifteen books that were so-so. Now I have three that I believe are actually good.

As long as you get a little bit better, every book you write. At the very least, you'll always be fulfilled. What's more, if you know it's bad as you're writing it, you're already poised to further improve. You already know what's wrong with it, and more than likely you'll soon know how to fix it.

Honestly, I have learnt so much from the people on here. I thought I was literate and articulate, but you guys pull me up on my many misconceptions and mistakes. Well done you all, for helping me be better.

@Jason Byrne, I never got into writing fanfiction (well, not exactly) but a friend of mine did and eventually moved on to original work. I'm AMAZED that you've written so many books!!

@Meerkat, Thanks!

@Jennifer Stone, some of the best advice I've ever received was through the Litopia colony. Everyone has their own wisdom and is willing to share. You ARE literate and articulate, all of us are (at least I think so). But there's still so much to learn for everyone here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Giveaway!

A

Another Near Miss

Back