Writers' workspaces

A

Please forgive me Nicole

New like buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or if you're procrastinating because you can't figure out what to write next... ;) Looking at the photos, they were either very neat and tidy, or an absolute disaster area. My workspace is the neat and tidy kind (largely because it doubles as a sewing space, so I try to make sure it's easy to switch out writing mess for sewing mess...okay, and because I'm a neat freak). What about yours?

By nature, I'm a tidy person. I think. But I hate tidying. So mess creeps up on me, and I get more and more annoyed by it until I snap and microtidy everything. Then I get no work done because I sit there smugly admiring dust-free surfaces and neat piles of paper. :)

I'm tidy/messy. My desk is a shambles, but the rest of the room is organized in its own way. My writing room also triples as my music/gaming room, so I have instruments and other stuff crammed in there. It's a veritable hodgepodge of all kinds of stuff...

I live (and work) in mess. But it's my mess, and if I need something, I just have to plunge my hand into that pile or another and voila! It comes out grabbing what I need. :)

I have a lot of things- books, clothes, plants, objects of completely no utility. I need them around me. They give me comfort ad stimulate me at the same time.

My workspace is a 4' by 7.5' room, fitted out with an Ikea desk, a 2-drawer filing cabinet that the printer sits on, and a couple shelves. If I don't keep it somewhat tidy, I can't get in the door. The previous tenants used it as a bedroom for their child--there is a window. The window glass is pebbled as if this was once a bathroom. Who knows? It's an old building. Everything you've heard about San Francisco rents is true.

I'm in a small, neutral (bland) office looking at the sky and apartments across a courtyard. I tend to be tidy. There's a small Tibetan singing bowl and a little Lady of Rocamadour figurine on the window sill and a red print of Taurus the Bull propped up behind me, bought from a very poorly French artist in Brantome.

Do you ever stick your head out of the window and chant loudly into your bowl for the entertainment of the neighbours? I would.

I love our study - this time last year, it was a really cramped room with a tiny rotting dormer that was set to blow away in a high wind - of which there are many on the Isle of Man. Now I sit and gaze at Douglas Harbour and trees and rooftops. My desk is to the right.

Study.jpg

Do you ever stick your head out of the window and chant loudly into your bowl for the entertainment of the neighbours? I would.

No, you run a little wooden stick round the rim until it starts to hum :) My neighbours are already nervous of me, the ones who don't know me at all, that is, and I'd prefer to remain an uncertain quantity here.

No, you run a little wooden stick round the rim until it starts to hum :) My neighbours are already nervous of me, the ones who don't know me at all, that is, and I'd prefer to remain an uncertain quantity here.
Ah, a Heisenberg neighbour. The type that collapses into an eigenstate if you trim the hedges in the nude.
That's not just me, is it?

Ah, got you. There's a lot of 'em round here too. Mainly seen at drop-off / pick-up at my daughter's school, unfortunately. Yuk.

I wish I had a writing space. Right now, hubby and I are still in our ~350sqft studio apartment, so I'm usually just typing on my bed. But being in that small apartment means that pretty much everything I need is either right next to me or like 10 steps away.

Another one here who would love a writing space. As it is, I tend to work mainly on my lap-top at the dining table but otherwise, it is grabbing a few minutes here and there, and even proof reading whilst at work in the wind and the rain. I also sense that if I ever do find myself in a position to have a dedicated writing area, I will invest plenty of time and money in ensuring that it looks the business....before reverting to the dining table again with all the daily, household chaos going on around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Please forgive me Nicole

New like buttons

Back