Writer's workshops

Tips from the tool bag...

Daily Writing Tip Widget

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sample bit of feedback for Ms Austen:

A few other concerns: Mrs. Bennett is annoying, and you don’t have any people of color. Also, there aren’t a lot of men in this book. Only about the same number as there are women. I was thinking that what you could do is have Mrs. Bennett be dying, but give her a black best friend. Like Othello? (Have you read it? It’s also by Shakespeare, fwiw.) The Othello character could be her butler, maybe? There you go: three problems solved. You’re welcome!

I found this quite entertaining. Ms. Austen is now regarded as classic literature and sometimes used for teenagers to study. 'Tim' has raised some valid points, would dear Jane actually get published these days?

There's something wrong with 50/50 male female? But that's how it is in real life. I think that review would make me cringe! lol ;)

She wrote what she knew. It was a man's world, of course that's what she's going to write.
I'm glad I live now. If I'd lived in the past I'd have been burned as a witch by now haha. Most of the ladies on Litopia would have been. Too outspoken... WITCH.

Not to mention some may have actually dabbled or dabble still but that's a tale for another time ;)

She wrote what she knew. It was a man's world, of course that's what she's going to write.
I'm glad I live now. If I'd lived in the past I'd have been burned as a witch by now haha. Most of the ladies on Litopia would have been. Too outspoken... WITCH.

Not to mention some may have actually dabbled or dabble still but that's a tale for another time ;)

I have reddish/ auburn hair and a mole behind my ear. WITCH!!!

I found this quite entertaining. Ms. Austen is now regarded as classic literature and sometimes used for teenagers to study. 'Tim' has raised some valid points, would dear Jane actually get published these days?

I'm currently reading Mark Bingham's excellent Writers' & Artists' Yearbook Guide To Getting Published, in which he says, that with the current economic climate, he very much doubts that Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy would have been saleable to publishers. It's controversial treatment of religion would have scared them away, as they're only going for safe and sure things these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tips from the tool bag...

Daily Writing Tip Widget

Back