Writers' Touchstones...

Late to the table... again...

The perils of writing about sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Smith Corona typewriter that was my father's. We're talking 1940's old. The "H" doesn't work and some of the letters drop, but it it still makes that noise...

Some of my earliest memories involve that old typewriter. In a modest, 4-bedroom house with 11 kids, my dad never had the luxury of an office or den. He would instead work off one side of my parents' king-sized bed, sitting in an old rocking chair, using a handmade (he was a woodworker by trade) hardwood chessboard as a desktop for handwriting signatures. This was the only reason he would write by hand, because next to the chessboard would always be his old Smith-Corona Silent-Super typewriter. He typed everything; letters, checks, list, memos, you name it. While he clacked away, as long as I stayed quiet and didn't shake the bed while he signed something, I was allowed to play with my matchbox cars on the opposite side of the bed. I've always loved that sound. It makes me think of him, and of carefree days.

Click-clack, click-clack-click, I really miss my dad.

So, every now and then, when I'm feeling lost and the words won't come, I pull out the typewriter just to make the noise for a little while.

Click-clack, click-clack-click, all is right with the world.

What a lovely memory! My mom was a writer (she wrote short stories which she published in Reader's Digest, and scripts for a local TV show), and I fondly remember the click-clack of her typewriter too!

I have an old Smith Corona typewriter that was my father's. We're talking 1940's old. The "H" doesn't work and some of the letters drop, but it it still makes that noise...
So, every now and then, when I'm feeling lost and the words won't come, I pull out the typewriter just to make the noise for a little while.
Click-clack, click-clack-click, all is right with the world.

And the feel of the keys beneath your finger-tips.

Now there's a setup I could live with ;)
That must be a snap just taken, cause we seem to be in the same time zone - PST?
EST — I'm in Maryland.

No, I took that picture yesterday, right after I took the picture of the projector lenses; I figured someone's comment (probably Nicole, who tends to be on-the-ball) would set me up to show a picture of the whole desk, and then forgot to come back to it.
Funny thing is, I looked at this picture from yesterday, and then down at my desk to grab the phone sitting there in the picture.

Those vials I found in a window sales aid kit left at the dumpster. Not sure what's in them, so I don't open them, but I keep them at my desk.

Confusing.
tumblr_mny81xuWcF1qedk42o4_400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Late to the table... again...

The perils of writing about sex

Back