Writer rushes into Burning Building

Am I crazy?

Never knew this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Some of you may have seen this story already, but I'm sure we can all sympathise with the panic of the writer who learned that his house was on fire—within, was his laptop, on which were two completed novels.

I back up my work on a memory stick and in the cloud—I hope you do too unless you're a good runner!

Man dashes into house to save laptop, 2 completed novels from fire in New Orleans' Broadmoor neighborhood

_91279547_ap_comfort.jpg

I have found Mozy in the past the best way for me. It's a bit costly but I'm one of those people who neglects to backup regularly. I notice the costs have gone up too. Used to be about £2 per month now it's £8 for 125G. I have a lot of game artwork and databases that take up most of the storage.

Thanks for reminding me to get back onto sorting this out again. I won't be thanking my Scrooge side if I don't go ahead with it.

Last edited:
Sorry, but running back into a burning building to save a laptop is the height of stupidity. BACK UP YOUR WORK. Machines can be replaced. Human lives cannot. You can back it up for FREE on Dropbox or by emailing the files to yourself every day after you finish working. I do both. Doesn't cost me a dime and I never lose my work. Set your Word to auto save every five minutes, then save it yourself every few minutes on your own, regardless. If you use Google docs to write in, you can access your work from any device, including your smart phone. Point is, work can be saved or even recreated if necessary. Risking your life by running back into a burning structure for a machine is just ignorant.

Last edited:
I use time machine to back up my whole computer automatically every hour to a hard drive that sits in a different building from my office. I also put copies of my novels on Dropbox, in case both buildings should go up at the same time.

I do something similar. I use time to see if I have made progress, then, realising I have not, I drop kick my computer through the building next door and burn copies of my work in progress.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I crazy?

Never knew this!

Back