News Wonderful news: Nadine is going to spend more time with... her writing

Important! Change to the Way You Take Part in Pop-Ups

Condolences to the British

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like Lenny Henry hobbit.
Yes, his accent is hilarious. I just can't square up the disconnect in my mind between that and Theophilous P. Wildebeast.

As a big LotR fan, I was a bit sniffy about the RoP concept before watching the first 2 eps. But I'm in now. It's got the most amazing visuals and production values I have ever seen in a TV show. Stunning stuff.

Yes, his accent is hilarious. I just can't square up the disconnect in my mind between that and Theophilous P. Wildebeast.

As a big LotR fan, I was a bit sniffy about the RoP concept before watching the first 2 eps. But I'm in now. It's got the most amazing visuals and production values I have ever seen in a TV show. Stunning stuff.
The visuals are great, but the story telling has just been so much bouncy exposition to me. I know it was a daunting task, but in this I think House of Dragons did it better. Did they start in the right place, do you think. Rings of Power?

Hannah's right in the sense Head of Zeus saw something in her writing that would sell and she has sold A LOT of books. What is she giving readers that we haven't yet learned to? I would say we are all better at wordsmithing than she is. But it's secondary to what she delivers. She's no Jeffery Archer who got a publishing contract on his name. She must deliver those elusive cookies like a Girl Scout. My ADD brain just won't read books like hers to find out what her secret is.

I’m not sure if it is the right place or not, PJ, as I’m not up to speed on the the early stuff.

I bailed on The Silmarillion. It bored me to death. It was a huge disappointment for me. I had already read LotR and The Hobbit several times but never the appendices, so found Silmarillion much too academic.

Might’ve missed someing for although I had the book for decades, I never picked it up once again. Haven’t got it any more now I notice.

RoP is working for me on that basis as I have nothing to reference it against in terms of how Tolkien saw the early period.

So pre-Bilbo I’m a no-no :)

Watched episode 1 last night. Elves are a right miserable lot, aren't they?! If being eternal means never sinking a pint or cracking a joke - no thanks. I did like the tension in the human village, though. The single mum healer was a great character, as was her romantic interest elf warrior. Loved the way the humans call the elves "pointies". I'd keep watching.

Those hobbit accents bordered on uncomfortable. Still, they could have been Brummies.

I’m not sure if it is the right place or not, PJ, as I’m not up to speed on the the early stuff.

I bailed on The Silmarillion. It bored me to death. It was a huge disappointment for me. I had already read LotR and The Hobbit several times but never the appendices, so found Silmarillion much too academic.

Might’ve missed someing for although I had the book for decades, I never picked it up once again. Haven’t got it any more now I notice.

RoP is working for me on that basis as I have nothing to reference it against in terms of how Tolkien saw the early period.

So pre-Bilbo I’m a no-no :)
My son is the only one who made it through the Silmarillion and liked it. He has a laser focus. I just meant story wise. I mean I am already sort of re-hooked on the characters and story of Dragons, though I haven't a clue who anyone is. The storytelling is just there for me. Whereas ROP it just feels like hours of exposition and the story hasn't really started yet. More like a LARP convention with everyone being the hero of their own story and the main point being the incredible costumes and cosplay.

LARP convention with everyone being the hero of their own story and the main point being the incredible costumes and cosplay.
Yeah now you mention it you have a point. Although it's not particularly getting in the way for me. I'm just gawping at the stunning visuals, buying in to the atmos and getting swept away. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Important! Change to the Way You Take Part in Pop-Ups

Condolences to the British

Back