When to Stop Editing...

New Cover Love!!

E

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth remembering that there's no such thing as a perfectly edited book. A manuscript submitted to 100 professional editors would be altered in different ways. No definitive version of a novel exists in the mind of its author, which is why many well-established writers avoid their early successful books, as they see how they'd have done things to better effect.

The best advice I've heard is when you're no longer editing plot issues. If all you're changing is sentence structure and word choice, your story is done. Don't go by if you're sick of it, because often I get sick of mine after the second edit, and that's far too early to stop editing.

Very helpful rule of thumb, Nicole. And you know when there's a plot glitch, even a tiny one.

The best advice I've heard is when you're no longer editing plot issues. If all you're changing is sentence structure and word choice, your story is done. Don't go by if you're sick of it, because often I get sick of mine after the second edit, and that's far too early to stop editing.
This is very sound advice which I shall be taking on board :)

BTW @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine there's a bug with your profile - when I try to look at it I get an error message. :) Everyone else - or at least those I've checked, all seem okay.

I get the same thing, KTLN. Here's the message: "This member limits who may view their full profile." I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe you put some kind of restriction or changed a public/private setting on your profile?

One of my vintage books, it lies in the cellars of my PC maturing, has been changed so much that it adopted a whole new personality. When I went back to the original, in a moment of nostalgia, I actually preferred that version. Nicole's post ofers good advice.

Fantastic advice. As said already in this thread - if I can read it, I can edit it. Limiting yourself to only editing plot issues will keep the editing to a sane level. I know that if I allowed myself to continue editing, my novels would eventually switch genres because of how many changes I start making to the sentence structure.

At least I'd wind up with an interesting story to tell at parties..."How about that time I accidentally edited my mystery novel into a non fiction cook book?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Cover Love!!

E

Greetings

Back