• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat When a Book is DOA: Dead Genres in Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time back I had followed the woman in the video but stopped after she went on a rant once , targetting people who left a negative review on her book. Doesn't mean some of her points are not valid though in her videos. I have been in talks with a few people about 'Authortube' and was working on an article I may post here about my thoughts on it.

I think what she's really saying is - write something fresh and don't imitate. In a way if you decide you're going to write a book in a sub-genre that's ballooning in sales now, by the time you've finished the book and start querying the balloon will have burst.

You can't predict the market, all you can do is be aware of it.

I think you need to write in a modern style, but search for new concepts. That way, if you're really talented, you'll start a new bubble or get lucky and land on the wave just as it starts to rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back