What are you reading at the moment? Recommendations welcome

Microsuction

As I mentioned in another post, I’m reading Graham Norton’s second novel A Keeper. One-third of the way through, I’m enjoying it, while wondering at the author’s ‘voice’. Norton has a gossipy, guess-what-happened-next style as if you’re sitting at the kitchen table with him as he unfolds his tale. If you know him as a chat show host, you’ll soon relax into how he teases out his characters’ stories.

For light relief, I’ve borrowed Sosuke Natsukawa’s The Cat Who Saved Books from the library. It’s an international bestseller, translated into over twenty languages. I like the cover.
I really enjoyed the keeper. I love Graham Norton's voice and he transports me back to Ireland which helps too

Just picked up "We Begin At The End". As advertised, it begins at the end. :) I'm only about 10 pages into it - but loving it.

Today I finished 'Prague Fatale' by Philip Kerr. Superb! Set in the period 1939-1942 in Berlin and Prague, it's a detective story woven in to the life and death of Reinhard Heydrich, one of the architects of the Holocaust. The plot is set during Heydrich's period as the Reichsprotektor of Bohemia and Moravia (Czechoslovakia).

The central character is the detective Bernie Gunther (I'd come across him previously in a couple of Kerr's post-war period novels). He's very anti-Nazi and trying walk the line between doing the right thing and trying to survive. It may be hard to believe but there were plenty of LOL moments for me - his wit is sardonic. Don't be put off by the darkness of the period, it's a hugely entertaining read and was, for me, educational.

After enjoying the delightful and quirky Timothy's book: notes of an English country tortoise, by Verlyn Klinkenborg, I noticed that he’d written a book on writing, so I bought a copy of Several short sentences about writing.

Several Short Sentences About Writing

Klinkenborg is a firm believer in cutting out waffle—that short pithy sentences do the job—cutting clutter is the most common advice from writing gurus and he’s an expert.

The structure of the guide is unusual, in that there are no chapters and the layout of Klinkenborg’s sentences is one of stacked, connected thoughts, rather than paragraphs, like this:

Most of the sentences you make will need to be killed.

The rest will need to be fixed.

This will be true for a long time.

The hard part now is deciding which to kill and which to fix and how to fix them.

This will get much, much easier, but the decision making will never end.

A writer’s real work is the endless winnowing of sentences,

The relentless exploration of possibilities,

The effort, over and over again, to see in what you started out to say

The possibility of saying something you didn’t know you could.

It’s a book that can be dipped into at any point for good advice; it’s unnecessary to read it from start to end.

I’ve bought about 100 writing guides in the last eight years, and Klinkenborg’s is among the best.

As the New York Journal of Books said in their review:

No other book, old or new, is as well reasoned as this, as entertaining or as wise...Best book on writing. Ever.”

PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke.
I was dubious at first, my brain becoming overloaded with Statues and Halls (mainly Halls), but I stuck with it and very glad I did. It becomes more and more gripping as the story unfolds. It's a kind of crime/mystery packaged inside a weird yet compelling world. The writing clutches at your curiosity and drives you deeper and deeper. There are parallels in the real world. Lots of food for thought. I highly recommend this book.

Attachments

• Piranesi.jpg
    Piranesi.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
I’m reading Great Expectations at the moment. Every five years or so I pick up a Dickens and I’ve got to say I’m so enjoying it. It’s dense but the writing is so incredibly witty, and Pip’s journey is far more psychological than I was expecting, even though I’ve seen a few TV adaptations. It somehow manages to be caustic and yet have heart at the same time
Maybe you know this , but the law suit that was the catalyst for Dickens began here. Tintern Abbey | Heritage Ireland. It so impoverished the old family that when the last elderly lady was finally removed (in the 70's I think) there was nothing left but genteel squalor.

PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke.
I was dubious at first, my brain becoming overloaded with Statues and Halls (mainly Halls), but I stuck with it and very glad I did. It becomes more and more gripping as the story unfolds. It's a kind of crime/mystery packaged inside a weird yet compelling world. The writing clutches at your curiosity and drives you deeper and deeper. There are parallels in the real world. Lots of food for thought. I highly recommend this book.
Exciting news. I figured Susanna Clark had to deliver somehow. Her voice is too unique not to. I'll schedule picking it up again for Boxing Day.

Du Maurier...I've always had a soft spot for Frenchman's Creek. I used to live nearby, for one thing...the Helford River is SO beautiful. That, plus a buccaneering romance. Count me in.
Have you read Mary Stewart, before Crystal Cave? The Ivy Tree for example evokes English Spring and Summer so lovingly. I like DuMaurier, but find her sometimes a bit difficult to wade through. Stewart is so visual it's no wonder so many of her books were made into movies in the 60's. Like the Disney film Moonspinners with Hailey Mills. The first film that made a 7 year old think Romance might not be boring.

Fun, fun!!!

I'm partway through Circe by Madeline Miller. Love the voice :) And a Jim Butcher book, but that's long, so I'm taking a break to read Circe :)
I enjoyed Circe. Interesting take on Telemachus. Miller's informing my research on Hecate at the moment. The women classicists do seem to be able to switch to modern fiction very well. I enjoyed The Maidens, Alex Michaelides but wished it was more of a stand alone. MORE Greek classics, please.

Re-reading Peter S Beagle, Tamsin. His Last Unicorn is one of my forever favourites. Also started Peter Straub, Ghost Story. I bought Firefall for my SciFi son. I've been trying to read it before I wrap it as a gift. Saw it mentioned on Pop ups, by Head of Zeus publisher. I'd have to echo his words. I don't understand anything but it is fascinating. Unfortunately that makes it a bit put-down-able. Last Christmas I bought the Three Body Problem Trilogy by Liu Cixin. if you want a book that everyone will be snatching from one another to read-that's your book. It was like when there was a new Harry Potter or Terry Pratchett at Christmas. Un-put-down-able, especially the first 2 books.

I remember teaching this to secondary school students - but we only had time to read and teach the first few and occasional further on chapters in prep for exam . . . part of the reason I got jaded with teaching - hoop jumping, teaching to the exam and pummelling out all creativity from text, student and me!
Has that come to England now too? I saw teaching to the exam takeover in the US. In the 90's one young American came over to stay with us in England. At a Norman castle she asked about King Norman.... She had been valedictorian of her High School class and couldn't understand why everyone thought she was so stupid in England. She wasn't. She was ignorant having only been taught to regurgitate exam answers. Heartbreaking to see.

On Audible: Owls of the Eastern Ice, Long Ships, Rats, Bats and Vats which now is keeping me company in the kitchen as I bake. Totally agree with the reviews. Shakespeare himself wouldn't have a posh accent. And the Irish ones are ...... unspeakably American. Hows this for a blurb.

"Chip Connolly was a conscripted grunt in trouble. Here he was, stuck behind enemy lines with a bunch of cyber-uplifted rats and bats. Rats with human speech, but with rat values. Rats that knew what was worth fighting for: sex, food, and strong drink.

True, they were holed up on a ruined wine-farm with enough brandy to swim in. Trouble was, there wasn't much food. And with shrew-metabolism the rats had to eat. He was next on the menu. The bats were no help: they were crazy revolutionaries planning to throw off the yoke of human enslavement with high explosive.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there was the girl they'd rescued. Rich. Beautiful. With a passionate crush on her heroic rescuer. She came with added extras: a screwball alien tutor, and a cyber-uplifted pet galagoa tiny little lemur-like-critter with a big mouth and delusions about being the worlds greatest lover.

So: he'd volunteered for a suicide mission. Of course things only got worse. The whole crew decided to come along. Seven rats, five bats, a galago, two humans, a sea-urchin-like alien and an elderly vineyard tractor without brakes...against several million inimical aliens. He was going to die. Mind you, not dying could be even more terrible. That girl might get him."

Last edited:
Has that come to England now too? I saw teaching to the exam takeover in the US. In the 90's one young American came over to stay with us in England. At a Norman castle she asked about King Norman.... She had been valedictorian of her High School class and couldn't understand why everyone thought she was so stupid in England. She wasn't. She was ignorant having only been taught to regurgitate exam answers. Heartbreaking to see.
It’s been part of the system for years. Also, as a SATs mark and an examiner for AQA, I was well-versed or brainwashed depending on one’s perspective, into understanding what was required of students purely in terms of attaining grades.
In my life, growing up, books were incredibly important and I read voraciously and purely as a joyous activity. At uni, I learned to interrogate texts, but I still retain a balance between the two.
I saw a lot of students turned off from literature because everything was condensed and in a timeframe. I do believe there were some poets who didn’t want to be in AQA’s GCSE poetry anthology because they couldn’t stand the thought that their poems were going to be over-analysed and that teachers were going to impress their own meaning upon them.
Hope this makes sense - I’m in middle of icing cakes, but didn’t want to ignore you.
Btw, you mentioning Mary Stewart’s books took me way back to my youth!

bought the Three Body Problem Trilogy by Liu Cixin. if you want a book that everyone will be snatching from one another to read-that's your book.
Ooh, that's a great recommendation! I love something that makes me want to put the world on hold and just read.
*makes note*

It’s been part of the system for years. Also, as a SATs mark and an examiner for AQA, I was well-versed or brainwashed depending on one’s perspective, into understanding what was required of students purely in terms of attaining grades.
In my life, growing up, books were incredibly important and I read voraciously and purely as a joyous activity. At uni, I learned to interrogate texts, but I still retain a balance between the two.
I saw a lot of students turned off from literature because everything was condensed and in a timeframe. I do believe there were some poets who didn’t want to be in AQA’s GCSE poetry anthology because they couldn’t stand the thought that their poems were going to be over-analysed and that teachers were going to impress their own meaning upon them.
Hope this makes sense - I’m in middle of icing cakes, but didn’t want to ignore you.
Btw, you mentioning Mary Stewart’s books took me way back to my youth!
Absolutely agree. The deconstruction that made a college English degree so depressing came to High School. I wonder if we would have homeschooled our kids even if they weren't dyslexic. When they did finally go to school it was in Switzerland where learning to learn is still the point of school. The Wald Schule would have been perfect for the boys if we'd just known about them. Kids go into the woods and learn stuff from age 2 until 7 when their brains are considered mature enough to sit and learn by listening instead of doing. Then they start school. In a way that is what our homeschooling was. I was marking time keeping their love of books and learning alive until I could find a way past the damage in their brains. I'm so lucky I found Lindamood Bell. Icing cakes sounds so elegant. You can ignore me. Sometimes though I like things to think about when I'm baking/cooking. Did you ever watch Box of Delights? 80's BBC production. Amazon product ASIN B00067IEGY

If you are constructing a world listening to Owls of the Eastern Ice Johnathon C Slaght could be helpful. The world he enters looking for the last Russian Eagle Owls is bound by cultural rituals, set in a landscape so alien as to be almost incomprehensible to a reader comfortable in a warm chair. Just the act of relieving yourself could mean the loss of a testicle to a baby eaglet fallen from the nest. A real event that resulted in a hunter almost destroying the last population of giant fishing eagles of Russia. Nonfiction as exciting as any fiction story.

Just finished The Light of Impossible Stars by Gareth L Powell. I don't normally read sci fi but this is really good. Highly recommended for everyone, not just sci fi buffs. Just started I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurdardottur. It's translated from Icelandic so reads a bit funny in places but it's a really promising start. Looks like a proper old school ghost story.

"Just started I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurdardottur. It's translated from Icelandic so reads a bit funny in places but it's a really promising start. Looks like a proper old school ghost story."

Agreed. I slept with the light on after reading that. I guarantee if you hear your floor creak, the hair on the back of your neck will stand on end.

I've read all her books. Her output is a little patchy. She can be very dark indeed.
I think her very best are where there is obviously a ghostly explanation but also an everyday 'normal' explanation, too. But with the kind-of 'nudge, nudge' from writer to reader of "Well, WE know how it really was..." I'm thinking Someone to Watch Over Me, but especially I Remember You. Recommended.

Just finished The Appeal by Janice Hallett, which gives a very modern twist on the 'whodunit'.

Interesting for us to look at because of how she chooses to convey the story:
the text of her book is made up almost entirely of electronic messages of one sort or other, mainly emails.

The correspondence is incomplete – though more comes along later – and one, fairly important, character does not contribute at all. It reads like the results of a word game, played at a party. A bit like our November Flash competition.
And it is a guessing game of sorts, rather than a novel. Readers have to try to work out, first, why the two young trainee lawyers have been given this mountain of material to review, with the book's title as one of the extremely numerous clues.

I found it absolutely compulsive. At the same time, there were a couple of points where I thought: "If she doesn't give a bit more meat here, instead of the endless red herrings, I'm going to sling this book across the room." Then, just when I might have given up (for a bit), there came a real-time interjection from another character...

The author came to novel writing via play writing, which can be clearly traced here. She is very good at plots, and her view of human nature is not very charitable – which makes for a book where absolutely everyone can be a suspect. It will be interesting to see how she approaches her next one...

I highly recommend ALL OUR HIDDEN GIFTS by Caroline O'Donoghue.

YA contemporary urban fantasy. Great YA voice. Great concept, masterfully executed. If you like tarot cards and magic, you'll love this book. If you're Irish, you'll love this book even more, and if, like me, you attended an Irish Catholic fee-paying girls school, you could be in this book! (Amazed to find my surname in this book!). A real page-turner of a story.

Currently reading Perestroïka in Paris by Jane Smiley. Her masterful omniscient POV captures the city as seen by a horse, a raven, a dog, two ducks and rats. Fairy tale feel with a bit of Amélie Poulain.

I've just finished We Begin at The End, by Chris Whitaker, and loved it.

The beginning was a bit ... chewy ... and over written (he needs to join a Huddle), and the first third felt a bit long and could do with being condensed, BUT ... stick with it. It picks up, has a strong voice, mood, it holds you with the characters. The structure/plotting is a tad visible but I've put that down to me reading as a writer. I guessed who the killer is pretty soon but maybe I again because I was reading as a writer. I did wonder about the POV at times (third felt a bit distant) but in hindsight I think it was the right choice. Cleverly written with some wonderful phrases. What I loved the most was the way he made the characters come alive. I spent much of the last third feeling very moved. And i liked that is wasn't the usual, cut out and paste crime novel, but a character driven read that happened to have a murder to solve.

I can recommend it. It won some award of sort and for a good reason.

I'm listening to Lifespan by Dr Davind Sinclair and Matthew LaPlante - it's free on Audible in Australia for January - absolutely fascinating - pushing the science behind ageing.

Microsuction

Back