Reality Check What a thoughtful, considerate rejection! (Still a 'No', though)

Interesting literary job opp!

Amusement Rejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
This came this morning from a US agent. Senior agent, big agency – but via QM, which many use as their excuse for a two-line 'Thanks, but not right for us'.

I'm quoting in full, but no names. This is a lady I'll send my next one to. The best of professional.

"Dear My Correct Name,

Thank you so much for your query. I appreciate the opportunity to consider your work, but unfortunately, after careful consideration, I have decided to bow out. I am truly sorry not to be able to offer you representation, and I wish you the very best of publishing luck as you move forward.

At XXLA we understand that writing is a passion, an intensely personal calling, a long-time dream for many, and frequently a lonely endeavor. We have great respect for authors, and we share the writer's passion—that is why we are literary agents.

Unfortunately, publishing is a business that necessarily involves a lot of rejection, at every stage. One of the most difficult things for us as agents is to have to say no. Yet, we can take on only a small fraction of all the work we see, and this is simply a business reality.

We say no for many reasons—because of changing trends in the market; because we already have something similar on our list; because we know of similar published or forthcoming titles; because something isn't right for us; because although something may be strong, well-written and even publishable, we didn't fall in love with it.

Please do try to keep this one "no" in perspective. This is a highly subjective business and another agent may adore your work. All it takes is one "Yes." We wish you success in finding that "Yes," whether with us or another agent and publisher.

Thank you for thinking of us and giving us this opportunity to consider your work.

All best,
Her Name

This came this morning from a US agent. Senior agent, big agency – but via QM, which many use as their excuse for a two-line 'Thanks, but not right for us'.

I'm quoting in full, but no names. This is a lady I'll send my next one to. The best of professional.

"Dear My Correct Name,

Thank you so much for your query. I appreciate the opportunity to consider your work, but unfortunately, after careful consideration, I have decided to bow out. I am truly sorry not to be able to offer you representation, and I wish you the very best of publishing luck as you move forward.

At XXLA we understand that writing is a passion, an intensely personal calling, a long-time dream for many, and frequently a lonely endeavor. We have great respect for authors, and we share the writer's passion—that is why we are literary agents.

Unfortunately, publishing is a business that necessarily involves a lot of rejection, at every stage. One of the most difficult things for us as agents is to have to say no. Yet, we can take on only a small fraction of all the work we see, and this is simply a business reality.

We say no for many reasons—because of changing trends in the market; because we already have something similar on our list; because we know of similar published or forthcoming titles; because something isn't right for us; because although something may be strong, well-written and even publishable, we didn't fall in love with it.

Please do try to keep this one "no" in perspective. This is a highly subjective business and another agent may adore your work. All it takes is one "Yes." We wish you success in finding that "Yes," whether with us or another agent and publisher.

Thank you for thinking of us and giving us this opportunity to consider your work.

All best,
Her Name
I received the exact same one from somewhere.

I received the exact same one from somewhere.
I've had others with some of the sentiments, but no one else with all of them. That said, some of this agent's colleagues may also use this.

I realise that not everyone may take to it, as it veers towards hearts&flowers (saccharine) a little, but I think it shows someone has sat down and taken some time and thought to put it together. Especially since she was using QueryManager, which is almost a built-in excuse to go for the terse and the formulaic.

But I hated it so much less than the British form reply "I liked it; I just didn't like it enough".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting literary job opp!

Amusement Rejections

Back