Well-known authors apply for emergency funding

Following Query Letter Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
This article is in today's Independent newspaper. It backs up recent reports on how low authors' incomes are. It's insane to me that publishers sit on a writer's backlist, refusing to promote them or ship them to book shops, and denying the author permission to buy back the rights to them - if they could afford to anyway.
This is addle-headed slavery.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ishers-wont-re-print-their-work-a6757326.html

That is bad, and certainly illustrates why, if you get a book contract, you should get professional help to check it, if you aren't very familiar with book contracts. The Society of Authors offers a free checking service for members - you can join as soon as you have a contract offer - and I'd very strongly recommend using it if you do potentially get signed up.

As someone with plenty of traditional book contracts, it's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but you do need to check these key points. These days I always expect a reversion clause that says rights revert to the author if less than a certain number of books sell or it's out of print (and specifying that having an ebook still available doesn't constitute being in print). Mostly publishers do put that in as a matter of course now, but they still need to be checked, and it was unusual ten years ago.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys — and for sparing some of us here the pain of learning the hard way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Following Query Letter Rules

Back