The Perfect Writing Aid

Your genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
I have been playing Minecraft and watching lots of fun Minecraft vids for about a year now even making my own embarrassing series.

But I've also thought about using the platform to bring my stories to life for kids.

Here's an example I found 'Night at the Dinosaur Museum'.

This sort of platform is great fun to build and also tapping into a vast audience.
If you don't understand Minecraft it will be hard to get one's head all of it including (from feedback) the seemingly simple graphics.

Anyone think they can use Minecraft to bring their books to life? It isn't just for kids I think it would work well for SFF stories too. Or any story just visually easy to do that on a platform like Minecraft. Did I mention Minecraft? :D

Oh and my favourite pair of Minecraft youtubers are these two. What luck they've started a new adventure map today. :D
[Edit: I just noticed one of my fave isn't actually on this video! :( ]

Adventure Maps are another example of bringing a story to life using this platform.

The graphics on MineCraft are bad. I mean really really bad. Everything is kind of squarish, even the people and animals. I've only watched the game played from afar, but I have the jest of it. The game involves using your imagination to build houses, and roller coasters, and such. In order to make things, you need to find building material. So, you spend a lot of time making bricks with a pick ax. Pretty monotonous if you ask me. I'm surprised it's so popular, but it is! Even my daughter, who isn't into video games that much, likes its.

Strangely, my 12-year-old son and his friends who usually play video games with amazing graphics, LOVE Minecraft. Via their Xbox's, they visit each other's worlds. The three of 'own' a watermelon farm together. They work on it almost every day. Oh, they also have a slime farm. Kind of weird, if you ask me. Whatever floats their boats. But there's more to it than that, I guess. I hear them talking about the way zombie swarms come out at night. And something about creepers destroying stuff.

I'm curious about the audio. Can you narrate your story directly onto Xbox? Or, do you have to download it to something like YouTube to do a voice over? There is definitely a built-in audience for Minecraft fans. If you could tap it somehow, it would be worth it. The competition will be fierce. It might be fun to try though.

Last edited:
I've seen my son respond to Minecraft more than anything else in life - and that includes people! He's a lovely lad, but has learning difficulties that have made schooling tricky for him. I mean, really tricky. I've spent years being fearful for his future.
And then Minecraft.
It was like finding a light-switch. He took me to his village, with a life-sized harbour, and ships in the dock. City walls, complete with whole districts with their own architectural style rules. He'd made banks, market stalls, schools, an underground transport system, castles, merchant's houses (etc etc)
He'd even gone as far as to make obscure little summer houses and secret caverns with treasure in them. It wasn't a game - he'd made an entire world.
I know you've seen it all before, but it was a really big moment for me, because it gave me the opportunity to be awestruck by something he'd done without any help. Here he was, showing me around his own little world and I've never felt happier for him in my life.
Pleased to say that he's now exceeded all expectations. yes he still plays Minecraft, but through hard work and good attitude he's managed to get and hold down a day-job whilst studying "Media" at college. I'm still fairly convinced that without the original spark of expression that Minecraft offered, he would never have found a way out of his shell.

Praise for a game doesn't get any higher than that! Poor graphics and all, Minecraft taps the deeper recesses imagination. I'm convinced that kids need that today more than ever. It was wonderful to read about your son. Thanks for sharing.

The graphics on MineCraft are bad. I mean really really bad. Everything is kind of squarish, even the people and animals. I've only watched the game played from afar, but I have the jest of it. The game involves using your imagination to build houses, and roller coasters, and such. In order to make things, you need to find building material. So, you spend a lot of time making bricks with a pick ax. Pretty monotonous if you ask me. I'm surprised it's so popular, but it is! Even my daughter, who isn't into video games that much, likes its.

Strangely, my 12-year-old son and his friends who usually play video games with amazing graphics, LOVE Minecraft. Via their Xbox's, they visit each other's worlds. The three of 'own' a watermelon farm together. They work on it almost every day. Oh, they also have a slime farm. Kind of weird, if you ask me. Whatever floats their boats. But there's more to it than that, I guess. I hear them talking about the way zombie swarms come out at night. And something about creepers destroying stuff.

I'm curious about the audio. Can you narrate your story directly onto Xbox? Or, do you have to download it to something like YouTube to do a voice over? There is definitely a built-in audience for Minecraft fans. If you could tap it somehow, it would be worth it. The competition will be fierce. It might be fun to try though.

You know I honestly love the graphics on minecraft. I'm so brainwashed with it all that I find all other games lacking in...... something...something.....cuboid. I love the simplicity of using blocks and placing blocks and then the myriad of ways to create intricate buildings.

I sound like a child but it was my 6 (at the time - he is 7 now) year old son that introduced us to this world. And I've watched what he can create and imagine in Minecraft.

Writing is a wonderful way to express thought but you can never really 'see' ones thought...but with drawing and art there is an added dimension. With minecraft I can see how he sees - in symmetry - and story like adventure. It's quite an eye opener on many levels.

One of the observations I've made in creating child-led games is that adults don't understand kids' thinking...and guess what.... kids love that adults don't get it. They don't actually care really but it is all the more appealing when adults don't get it. You can see how off-putting facebook becomes as more and more 'parents' join their kids circle..the kids as young or old move on to something else..e.g Instagram - still getting my head round that one!

Extrapolating that theory to younger ages who play minecraft and reading your comment I can see both sides purely because I have to. And many of us see it too as parents alone gives us that passport to do so (whether we use it is another story).

I know I've said it many times that I think very much in 'seeing' something visually to understand and learn - this is why I love the Minecraft platform.

I might be failing to garner understanding about the appeal of this world but it won't put me off trying :D

Last edited:

You can use software to record your screen as well as your voice. What I mean by bringing the story to life isn't direct audio story dubbing over minecraft...but creating the houses/buildings the paths the characters travel through....I need to build one for you as a simple example. I have one for Elemons I've made but it's such a slow one that it might sound boring however it might help understand - sort of - what I mean. Although I admit it isn't perfect. I'm also still learning how to improve my skills in the video arena area :oops:

You can use software to record your screen as well as your voice. What I mean by bringing the story to life isn't direct audio story dubbing over minecraft...but creating the houses/buildings the paths the characters travel through....I need to build one for you as a simple example. I have one for Elemons I've made but it's such a slow one that it might sound boring however it might help understand - sort of - what I mean. Although I admit it isn't perfect. I'm also still learning how to improve my skills in the video arena area :oops:

OOOOO! That's soooooooo Cool!

"Why did you do this, darling...? Why?" That made me smile :) You talk to yourself like I do mid "instruction to others" lol

This video's awesome :)

OOOOO! That's soooooooo Cool!

"Why did you do this, darling...? Why?" That made me smile :) You talk to yourself like I do mid "instruction to others" lol

This video's awesome :)

Ah thx. I hoped it would show how one can use it as a tool to bring a story world to life...sort of. Or at least access another audience to introduce it to. I think I could have done a better job of it if it was more scripted. Although I do prefer doing things ad lib.

Ah thx. I hoped it would show how one can use it as a tool to bring a story world to life...sort of. Or at least access another audience to introduce it to. I think I could have done a better job of it if it was more scripted. Although I do prefer doing things ad lib.
I think it works brilliantly as is :) it's informal and fun and personal all at the same time :)

I think it works brilliantly as is :) it's informal and fun and personal all at the same time :)

Glad you think so. I think you would do a brill job of it since you know graphic design too. Creating videos and banners using adobe software is your forte. Takes me an age to work my head around all the software needed to make intros, music background etc.

Glad you think so. I think you would do a brill job of it since you know graphic design too. Creating videos and banners using adobe software is your forte. Takes me an age to work my head around all the software needed to make intros, music background etc.
I'm not that good, yet anyway. College starts on Monday though my first day is Tuesday I think. She said Tuesday the 24th... dunno if she meant Monday the 24th or Tuesday 25th haha! I may just go Monday in case it was supposed to be Monday.

Looks like something I'd love to have a good go at :)

I'm not that good, yet anyway. College starts on Monday though my first day is Tuesday I think. She said Tuesday the 24th... dunno if she meant Monday the 24th or Tuesday 25th haha! I may just go Monday in case it was supposed to be Monday.

Looks like something I'd love to have a good go at :)

Definitely...you'll impress them with minecraft knowledge.

I love watching with my kids like minecraft cartoon shows...seriously. We watch

Adventure Maps
Hunger Games
Let's Play
Sky Den
Cave Den (new ones)

Mainly Stampylonghead and iBallisticsquid vids.

These two are characters in their own right. Luv 'em! :D

This all sounds nuts but as soon as you get into it - it's soooo addictive.

Definitely...you'll impress them with minecraft knowledge.

I love watching with my kids like minecraft cartoon shows...seriously. We watch

Adventure Maps
Hunger Games
Let's Play
Sky Den
Cave Den (new ones)

Mainly Stampylonghead and iBallisticsquid vids.

These two are characters in their own right. Luv 'em! :D

This all sounds nuts but as soon as you get into it - it's soooo addictive.
I can tell :) I wondr if I can make a Rannoch character? hmmmm Only one way to find out :)

Had a go at the demo version... lol Wondering if I'd get board really quick... I might, but I have an equal chance of getting addicted too o_O

I just finished the tour of your world, Emurelda. From the classroom, to secret rooms, and a ship, it was neat to see your vivid imagination take on a life of its own on the screen. Meeting Happy Helimon and Hydroman with the flaming hair was a little intimidating though. They're huge! I can see why it would be a nice tool for writers, solidifying settings and characters in our minds. For me though, I know it would be distraction. I'd spend more time playing Minecraft than writing. Thanks for the fun adventure. If you haven't already, you ought to put a link to your Minecraft world in the back of your books.

I just finished the tour of your world, Emurelda. From the classroom, to secret rooms, and a ship, it was neat to see your vivid imagination take on a life of its own on the screen. Meeting Happy Helimon and Hydroman with the flaming hair was a little intimidating though. They're huge! I can see why it would be a nice tool for writers, solidifying settings and characters in our minds. For me though, I know it would be distraction. I'd spend more time playing Minecraft than writing. Thanks for the fun adventure. If you haven't already, you ought to put a link to your Minecraft world in the back of your books.
Oh! Yeah that's a great idea! And on your game packaging.

Not book related but I do also have a Minecraft channel on YouTube. I got into it to have something in common to talk to my three boys about. Then I built Stonehenge (I love all things pre-historic) and now I'm doing the whole landscape and time-line of Stonehenge and all the surrounding monuments! I just find it another way to be creative.

Here's my latest instalment (I really should be putting another one up in the next day or two) feel free to view the others and subscribe ;-)

Graham

@Graham H Miller ..Love it! Another fellow minecrafter. It always rains in minecraft when you don't want it...like England :D

I got into it along with my kids and you know it's really weird explaining the world to people who haven't played it. Then again videos are a great tool to share the experience. But when you said something along the lines of 'well that was fun..took a couple of hours' lol! I can imagine perplexing faces :D

Gonna subscribe. What do you use for video and audio capture? I'm still new and mine glitches many times slowing the loading of my world down...so videoing is not easy using my simple software.

Look forward to your developments btw. I can see how you think through your process of creating Stone Hedge..very methodical.

You made my day @Diamond ..so kind of you to say such lovely things. Thank you. :)

I went through an obsessive phase originally...I know I was worse than now! Lol :D

So I use minecraft relatively quickly now I know what I'm doing with the story. Although you are correct an adequate amount of time needs to be set aside to do it properly and a distraction in doses is unavoidable. As a way to increase my skills using youtube I've created Emu's world too! Like Elemons wasn't enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Writing Aid

Your genre

Back