Using all of the senses in your writing.

Project to Bring Together Writers and Artists

Great free images from British Library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try compressed air...that works wonders on my cat...
Izzy loves to sharpen his claws on the bed mattress, but knows it's a cardinal sin, so he does it behind the headboard where you can't get to him, just staring at you all the while.

I don't have a spray bottle, so I fill a shot glass with water and toss it in on him. So now, when he sees me disappear to go get it, when I get back he's at the other end of the headboard, carrying on.

You could always try putting a harness on the cat. I put one on Anastacia one time. She flopped on the floor and didn't move for hours. It was HILARIOUS because she was so pissed, but had no idea what to do about it...
Izzy did the same thing when we tried to walk him outside into the courtyard, for some fresh air. He just plopped down onto the balcony outside the front door, and sat there until I drug him back inside. He did not deign to get up for that, either.

Izzy did the same thing when we tried to walk him outside into the courtyard, for some fresh air. He just plopped down onto the balcony outside the front door, and sat there until I drug him back inside. He did not deign to get up for that, either.

I used that trick when I moved from Alabama to Oklahoma. We were going to be carrying things out to a moving truck all day long, so I just stuck her in a harness and she didn't move all day. Was purrfect...er...perfect.

I used that trick when I moved from Alabama to Oklahoma. We were going to be carrying things out to a moving truck all day long, so I just stuck her in a harness and she didn't move all day. Was purrfect...er...perfect.
35311741.jpg

See what I did there?:D

I may or may not have thought that it had something to do with the origin of "Great Scott" which, coincidentally, is actually an interesting story and fitting with a cat laying lethargically in the middle of the floor...
Oh I know! Totally fitting.

Hey Siri?...

You could always try putting a harness on the cat. I put one on Anastacia one time. She flopped on the floor and didn't move for hours. It was HILARIOUS because she was so pissed, but had no idea what to do about it...
Okay, first, do you guys know how hard it is to find one of our thread derailments, trying to remember which one were we talking about cats vs the one we were talking about masked crusaders? Ridiculous.

ANYWAY. When you first posted this, Chase, it reminded me of something with our cat BUT I COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT. Finally, I got it. Oreo had a collar with a bell before we got Cookie (because the booger kept sneaking up on me, biting my heels, and then running off, the little jerk). Well, we got Cookie and thought it'd be cute to get him a matching collar.

NOPE. We put it on him and every time the bell jingled, he froze. It quickly got to where he wouldn't move for hours. Funny at first, then super sad. He no longer wears a collar. Even one without a bell. Because he's a resourceful booger and gets them off his neck.

And that's my hilarious story. Go ahead. Laugh. I'll be here all week, guys.

Last edited:
Okay, first, do you guys know how hard it is to find one of our thread derailments, trying to remeber which one were we talking about cats vs the one we were talking about masked crusaders? Ridiculous.

ANYWAY. When you first posted this, Chase, it reminded me of something with our cat BUT I COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT. Finally, I got it. Oreo had a collar with a bell before we got Cookie (because the booger kept sneaking up on me, biting my heels, and then running off, the little jerk). Well, we got Cookie and thought it'd be cute to get him a matching collar.

NOPE. We put it on him and every time the bell jingled, he froze. It quickly got to where he wouldn't move for hours. Funny at first, then super sad. He no longer wears a collar. Even one without a bell. Because he's a resourceful booger and gets them off his neck.

And that's my hilarious story. Go ahead. Laugh. I'll be here all week, guys.

It actually IS funny because I used to put a collar on Anastacia when she was a kitten. She hated it, but tolerated it. The issue was that in Alabama, you were required to have tags for your animals (rabies, vaccines, AND state tags). This meant that when she ran around in the middle to the night like cats tend to do, it was noisy as fuuuuuu (it was the worst when she went to eat/drink). Needless to say, she didn't wear it for very long...

It actually IS funny because I used to put a collar on Anastacia when she was a kitten. She hated it, but tolerated it. The issue was that in Alabama, you were required to have tags for your animals (rabies, vaccines, AND state tags). This meant that when she ran around in the middle to the night like cats tend to do, it was noisy as fuuuuuu (it was the worst when she went to eat/drink). Needless to say, she didn't wear it for very long...
And it's interesting because Oreo got his collar about the same age Cookie did, but he didn't have a problem with it (or so my hubby tells me; he was hubby's before we got together). But Cookie was pretty explicitly not okay. He would just sit there, perched on our window sill, ready to pounce, but he'd never move. He was terrified of making the bell jingle. So, me with my bleeding heart, couldn't bear to see him so scared, so it came off.

@Nicole Wilson I came to this on page three and spent the first few messages wondering why @Jason Byrne was talking to himself haha! I thought I was on page one!

I have three cats! Free to come and go during the day, but they have a curfew and then they are in at night. I was friends with a couple of exotic vets and one would implore me to keep my cats in at all times because of the number of road accidents he dealt with. Thankfully, we don't live near busy roads and behind the garden is a park. Still though, one of our cats was knocked down years ago because despite the road in front of out house being quiet (it's near a primary school) some idiot still decided to speed down it. Again, it's right next to a primary school. I can't stand people speeding but nearby where kids might be crossing...:mad:

Honestly, what is this thread even about? Perhaps we should have a derailed forum where we can talk about whatever nonsense so that threads can be kept on topic? It does get pretty confusing when you're trying to read through a thread!

Our cats are strictly indoor cats. We've taken care of cats outside in the past who have come to us, and for one reason or another clearly weren't comfortable staying indoors, but I can't handle losing them to being run over or subjected to cruelty by stupid people.

Achhhh. Poor old lady. You'd think they'd have scraped that mess straight off.

I bet someone told those people, once they'd moved in.

Our cats are strictly indoor cats. We've taken care of cats outside in the past who have come to us, and for one reason or another clearly weren't comfortable staying indoors, but I can't handle losing them to being run over or subjected to cruelty by stupid people.
Ours are the same. Indoor all the time. We open a window for them to get fresh air, but it has a screen covering it. I get far too attached to my pets for them to be attacked by an aggressive dog or cat or worse, lost. I would cry the entire way to the pet emergency room.

And it's interesting because Oreo got his collar about the same age Cookie did, but he didn't have a problem with it (or so my hubby tells me; he was hubby's before we got together). But Cookie was pretty explicitly not okay. He would just sit there, perched on our window sill, ready to pounce, but he'd never move. He was terrified of making the bell jingle. So, me with my bleeding heart, couldn't bear to see him so scared, so it came off.
Izzy just laid on his back and kicked himself in the face with his back legs until he got it off. Then he stood up, gave us a look like, "what now, bitch!" and walked away. He wore it precisely once.

Honestly, what is this thread even about? Perhaps we should have a derailed forum where we can talk about whatever nonsense so that threads can be kept on topic? It does get pretty confusing when you're trying to read through a thread!
Including all the senses in your sensuous description.

Yes! A house for random topics! We can call it... Random House!

I find it funny how many people try to use collars/harnesses on their cats once or twice before giving up. It's amazing that all cats are so belligerent that we just stop doing certain things. Bagheera got exactly ONE bath before he nipped that in the bud by being nowhere near water ever again. And don't even get me started on trying to apply flea medicine...*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project to Bring Together Writers and Artists

Great free images from British Library

Back