Reality Check The R word...

Phobias

O

What do you look for in a Literary Agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OperaDivaAlix

I’m really getting the hang of Litopia now. Hopefully I don’t abuse the ‘Post Thread Button’ too much. Rejection is a very bitter pill we must all swallow short-term but in the long-term it will make us better writers for it. How many rejections have you had recently? And like my last thread. Please name a fact about yourself but as a writer. Share one bad habit of yours. I’ll go first - I had countless rejections before taking part in a writing course with Curtis Brown Creative. I’ve had none since as Pete will be the first to see my reshaped, rewritten and renamed manuscript. I’m strongly considering to use for the Wilbur Smith Writing Comp coming up. Regarding my worst writing habit - Not enough use of dialogue to break up prose, over thinking descriptive writing is to blame I think. But in fantasy your not just bringing your characters and story too life. But the world too. A fair comment? What do my fellow writers think.

Well. I don't submit so how can I be rejected? I suppose agent pete and redhammer rejected my writing but it sure didn't feel that way.

I've sent in email submissions for a friend of mine. It's not my writing but the rejections aren't really rejections. I'm pretty certain they're not even reading what's being sent to them. So, it's less a feeling of rejection and more a sense of impotence. I might feel differently if it was my own writing but I don't think so.

I write fantasy too but I think it's important to point out that even writers of contemporary fiction set in what we consider our world have to create a world. It doesn't have magic or creatures usually but often it's own mythology and rules.

My worst writing habit? I don't know what to pick. I have so many of them.

No recent rejections. :)

Worst writing habit ... um ... not planning ahead enough, I suppose. Most books I only have a thumbnail idea of where I want to go, and then I just sit down and start typing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobias

O

What do you look for in a Literary Agent?

Back