Editing and revision...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
We use Twitter, Facebook and to a lesser extent Instagram & LinkedIn as social media channels… really just to alert folk outside the Colony to things happening here.

Twitter is being Muskified, Facebook is in a slow death spiral, Instagram is being replaced by TikTok and LinkedIn is choc-full of IT people trying to sell you incomprehensible rubbish.

Just wondering… is there any social media platform you think we should be on? The new Twitter, maybe?

:) p.

I'm sticking with Twitter. Plenty of publishing news, and other great, erudite, and informative content still posted there. Whatever Musk is or isn't doing, doing, the shrieking, madness and insults are nothing new. Though there is a change in the timeline, as some good accounts move away. I am liberal with the block button. I took a look at Mastodon and lost all will to try it out.

I'm sticking with Twitter. Plenty of publishing news, and other great, erudite, and informative content still posted there. Whatever Musk is or isn't doing, doing, the shrieking, madness and insults are nothing new. Though there is a change in the timeline, as some good accounts move away. I am liberal with the block button. I took a look at Mastodon and lost all will to try it out.
I think that's the thing about Mastodon. I like the federated, self-hosting aspect (wonder if there’s a server yet just for writers?) But it’s clunky, and frankly there’s a ton of people on it who… one would not wish to rub shoulders with… :) p.

Yeah, have been pretty interested in Mastodon, esp re hosting our own server. But... it's not Twitter, really. Hivebrite is more alumni focused... which is of course how Fbook started...
That's what I was thinking. They would be silly to confine it to alumni. The Royal Road is very interesting to me. Esp how the host forum makes money from other writers. I am thinking I could apply it to another genre and incorporate serialisation for my own work. Is there a reason Litopia doesn't have a website? I heard about it from another writer's group. The founder of that group railed against Pop Ups because, "No one should have to pay for a critique!" Meanwhile I only got bad critiques of 400 words that led me down wrong path after wrong path. And that group costs 50 euro a month. How big can Litopia get before losing its effective ness for writers? Might the future be more like Royal Road?

I'm also sticking with twitter. As far as I can tell, most of the writing community - the children's one at any rate - seem to be staying put.

TikTok is increasing its popularity among age groups other than teen (who found it first and use it often).

That's what I was thinking. They would be silly to confine it to alumni. The Royal Road is very interesting to me. Esp how the host forum makes money from other writers. I am thinking I could apply it to another genre and incorporate serialisation for my own work. Is there a reason Litopia doesn't have a website?
No reason at all, but if we do jump into that space, we'd have to do it well...

I heard about it from another writer's group. The founder of that group railed against Pop Ups because, "No one should have to pay for a critique!"
Free option is v popular too!

Meanwhile I only got bad critiques of 400 words that led me down wrong path after wrong path. And that group costs 50 euro a month. How big can Litopia get before losing its effective ness for writers? Might the future be more like Royal Road?
Maybe. Litopia is actually quite scalable. One of the motivations for getting the Social Interest Groups going is that, although v small presently, they will allow folk to self-organise as they wish, i.e. you will never be forced into a larger group that’s alien to you. I tend to agree with ethnologists who think that the ideal social group (or for work, for that matter) is no bigger than two dozen people or so.

What can’t easily scale is the Huddle. But we don’t have to worry about that just yet.

Would this be better in the back room? Or can people say wotever they want about Musk, with him being into free speech/hate crime apologists and all?

Is Reddit worth a sniff?

I think it’s OK here. We don’t need to get into the narcissistic world of Mr. Musk. It’s simply a fact that Tesla owners are having second thoughts, and equally there seems to be a flight from Twitter for the same reasons. Not sure about Reddit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Important! The Colony is moving to a new and more powerful server

Editing and revision...

Back