The Mind of a Writer

New like buttons

M

Cover discussion - Split off from my blurb thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!!! And you are left knowing that enlightenment exists--even if you can't quite find it.

Of course I also get those moments, lying in bed in the morning, when I realize exactly how to write a scene, what the characters should say.... Moments later, it's all gone.
Or ten seconds before you fall asleep.
"I'll remember it in the morning."
Said no writer ever and actually succeeded.

I kept on in my jacket pocket, but found that when driving by the time I got to the next red light it was gone.
And Katina would complain too loud for me concentrate anyway when I drove with my knee and jotted down notes with the notebook against the steering wheel.

Americans do that kind of sh*t.
080927_1a_distracted_drivin.jpg distraction.jpg
Easy-methods-to-Avoid-Commonest-Distractions-While-Driving_v-ttr_0.jpg multitasking-driving.jpg

Hey, all cats are gray in the dark. I'll try anything once!
I guess that would make twice. But that's a different story, from college.

See I caught myself. I was going to say, "we don't bite..."

archer-phrasing.jpg

I get Paul's original post and suffer through the whole list of effects of the work. Yesterday I wrote some 2K words, which is relatively normal on a draft, but the day before I wrote 7K words. I was really rollin' along! Then something in what I had been working on spun out another idea. I dashed that off as well and showed it to my wife, who reacted by saying she was worried about my mental state. Well, I suppose someone has to worry...
Here's my post of the short dash-off: The Debt -- The Debt… | Saille Tales Books – Fiction From Richard Sutton, W.T. Durand, Blog & Book News

I could panic, at how fast it all goes, I mean Life, but I am learning to hold my nerve. It all both matters enormously, and not at all. If my writing sucks, at least I'm not going round blowing people up.

Reading this thread has confirmed the idea that I am not a writer in the artistic sense that other Litopians are. I am a wordsmith, a mechanic. I get an idea for a story and I turn it into words. I don't suffer the pain of trying to put an idea or a dream into words, and I do not aim to produce literary masterpieces. I don't tick the angst and caffeine boxes that other writers do (although I have plenty of angst unrelated to writing). My objective is to entertain with interesting tales and extrapolate scientific ideas, maybe open a few eyes along the way. However, I do revel in the beauty of the natural world, of the universe, of evolution and its myriad outcomes, which is enhanced by an early background in science. That's my second pseud post of the day so I'm going to have some breakfast now! Please feel free to Derek me to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New like buttons

M

Cover discussion - Split off from my blurb thread

Back