News The Litopia Shrine to Judith Kerr 1923-2019

Twitter Event: #PitDark for horror and dark fiction

Feeling inadequate? Here's why....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateESal

May 5, 2018
Spain
Children's authors have a special place in readers' hearts, don't they? Their books formed an important part of our childhood experience and many of us hold their words and pictures dear, even in adulthood.

Judith Kerr was an extraordinary talent...with the pen and the paintbrush.

The Tiger Who Came To Tea and the Mog books are deservedly classics, but my personal favourite was When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. I was so caught up in the wartime refugee tale (autobiographical without being an autobiography) that I still remember parts of it now.

RIP Judith Kerr, whose death was announced earlier today.

Aw! We just finished "Bombs on Aunt Dainty" this week, the sequel to "When Hitler Stole The Pink Rabbit" (which we loved so much). So sad. RIP Judith Kerr.

My 24 year old refuses to read 'Goodbye Mog'.
I have to say, Goodbye Mog is gentle yet deft in its treatment of death. Such a big subject to approach with children, yet Judith Kerr gets the balance right, I feel. It's one of those books that can be very helpful as children grasp the concept. It's tender without being frightening, I think. But yes, moving too.

Aw! We just finished "Bombs on Aunt Dainty" this week, the sequel to "When Hitler Stole The Pink Rabbit" (which we loved so much). So sad. RIP Judith Kerr.
I haven't actually read either of the sequels and now I think I will make the effort to do so. It's not that I went out of my way to avoid parts II and III of the trilogy, I just wasn't really aware they existed until very recently.

I have to pre-read the third, just to make sure it's appropriate. There were a couple of very inappropriate parts (for a ten year old!) In the second. I had to do a lot of on-the-spot editing as I read!! Thank goodness she still likes me to read to her, lol :D

They are dropping like flies My good friend and childrens author Pat Hutchins died about eighteen months ago. I used to proof read some of her books and if I laughed they were considered good to go for some strange reason. Maybe it was my childish mind

Last edited:
'Goodbye Mog' is a lovely book. @KateESal has it spot on. Children have to know, and it is so beautifully presented. Partial Spoiler alert. Mog goes in her sleep, hangs around for a bit, does this and that. Once she decides she is done here, she flies off to the sun.

Last edited:
Amazing to be able to write books which stand up so well to rereading and the passage of time.

They are dropping like flies My good friend and childrens author Pat Hutchins died about eighteen months ago. I used to proof read some of her books and if I laughed they were considered good to go for some strange reason. Maybe it was my childish mind
Wow, that's an awesome claim to fame, @Steve C !
The House That Sailed Away is one of my all time favourite children's books, and I can quote the fantastic first paragraph from memory, even now.

Wow, that's an awesome claim to fame, @Steve C !
The House That Sailed Away is one of my all time favourite children's books, and I can quote the fantastic first paragraph from memory, even now.
She was a wonderfully kind person and she and Laurence took me under their wing for a while. They knew lots of famous people but their friends were ordinary like me. Coming from Yorkshire she had no airs nor graces and loved a drink. I miss them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitter Event: #PitDark for horror and dark fiction

Feeling inadequate? Here's why....

Back