News The Litopia Events Calendar

Recipe 2 vegan Native American recipes for Thanksgiving

Recipe NightGlow Pizza A Taste of Apex

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
I’m delighted to introduce you to one of the many innovations coming to the Colony.

Everyone can now see our shiny new Events Calendar and use it, but only Full Members can actually post events. This is mainly to prevent spammers signing up, whacking the Events Calendar full of dross, and leaving.

“What sort of events?” I hear you asking.

Well, obviously anything that’s of interest to your fellow Litopians. Might be the release date for your new book. Or a deadline for a writing contest you think others might be interested in. Let’s keep it to stuff that writers want to know about… which is of course pretty broad!

There are quite a few bells and whistles that I’ll let you discover by yourself. I will, though, just mention one nice touch – you can export a single event or a whole month’s worth into iCal or csv format, meaning that you can effortlessly import said event into your own personal calendaring system.

So… let’s make it the best darn writers calendar on the internet (um, I’m not actually aware of any others). Get posting!

But that’s not all...

Create Your Own Event!​

Thus far, I’ve talked about the Events Calendar in the context of featuring other folks’ events.

It does, however, enable the possibility of now creating your own event...

The Events Calendar allows for RSVPs; in other words, people can indicate whether they’d like to attend your event, so you’ll have an idea of numbers.

But what sort of event might you like to host?

Well here’s an example. @Pamela Jo has suggested it might be nice for the Colony to have a Halloween Evening… where we can gather round the Zoom and scare each other witless with anecdotes and short story readings. Great idea, PJ! With the Events Calendar, it‘s very possible to host a one-off like that.

So unleash those creative juices and dream up a few amazing events for your fellow Litopians. And if you need any tech help – e.g. with Zoom – then we can do that, too.

OK… over to you!

Maybe it would be a good idea to put "Events Calendar" in the menu bar at the top of the Litopia site. The only way I got back to these posts was by putting the words in the Search box. But I still don't know where to actually see the Events Calendar.

Ahhh... I was thinking we should put the book club events on there. Easy way to see when they are instead of having to go to the threads. Good for events that aren't weekly (those everyone remembers.) If there's ever a monthly huddle south, then that would be good to have on a calendar too. Maybe events will gain momentum just to fill the calendar. What about contest deadlines? Would that be something that could go on the calendar? I like calendars. :)

Ahhh... I was thinking we should put the book club events on there. Easy way to see when they are instead of having to go to the threads. Good for events that aren't weekly (those everyone remembers.) If there's ever a monthly huddle south, then that would be good to have on a calendar too. Maybe events will gain momentum just to fill the calendar. What about contest deadlines? Would that be something that could go on the calendar? I like calendars. :)
OHHHH Brilliant Lyse! yes. I mean I was just going thru today trying to sort. I was sure there was a FF contest that I thought I could enter a xmas thing in. Cant find it now. 100 words. maybe it was the Friday FF one?

It's back :)

I've ameded it so that all members can now post events, let's see how that does....
I'm sorry, but frankly like a lot of things on the Litopia site, I can't find where to access the calendar. It so often seems like I need to know to click on A to get to B to get to C, but if I don't even know that I need to go to A, it's hopeless. Is it just me? o_O:confused:

I'm sorry, but frankly like a lot of things on the Litopia site, I can't find where to access the calendar. It so often seems like I need to know to click on A to get to B to get to C, but if I don't even know that I need to go to A, it's hopeless. Is it just me? o_O:confused:
Never mind. I see it's in the menu bar at the top of the page. I was looking for "Events Calendar" and missed it just saying "Calendar" at first. Oops. :oops:

Recipe 2 vegan Native American recipes for Thanksgiving

Recipe NightGlow Pizza A Taste of Apex

Back