Amusement The Glassblower's Moll

34 Fabulous Writing Conferences in July 2019

News A Clever Way of Encouraging Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
A lot of people have expressed interest/amusement at what my husband and I are getting up to over here in France. Even Pete suggested that I posted something about it. But I'm not sure where would be best. It isn't something for a reading group, so I'll leave it lying on a table here in the cafe so you can read it if you want.

Attachments

• The Glassblower's Leitmotif.docx
    22.5 KB · Views: 11
Love it! Have you turned your adventures into a short story yet? You should.
Thank you, Paul. I've thought about it and have lots of anecdotes written down. Although @AgentPete seems to think the market for these sorts of books has dried up. But one of the best stories (now) was when my husband was kidnapped at gunpoint and held in the hills for 2 hours by a drug dealer who thought he had stolen his 40,000euros worth of grass plants. He gave Chris 48 hours to either return the plants or come up with 40k, or he would be tortured, and his family... so, me and the kids... killed. Given that Chris hadn't a clue what he was talking about, and the baddie was so stoned he didn't know which way was up, negotiations didn't go too well. We ended up leaving town for a while, but Chris suffered badly with post-traumatic stress (having a real gun held to your throat is very different than reading about it or seeing it in the movies). A few days later the guy accused someone else and had his throat slashed with a Stanley knife. Sadly, he survived. Oh, and before you ask, we did go straight to the Gendarmerie to report it. They could have kept the baddie for 24 hours, but unless they found a weapon they would have had to release him. We figured he'd know it was us denouncing him and kill us for sure. So dropped the complaint.

Or the time we had to take a neighbour to court for molesting our 9-year-old daughter...

As I said, there should have printed a warning on this part of France. o_O I get tired of people saying "Oooh aren't you lucky, Ms Fancypants, you live in the South of France..."

It won't. But unsettling times. Guess you're still in the French bureaucratic sausage machine re citizenship. My sister too, and funny to think, she's now lived in France longer than she's lived in the UK.

Thank you, Paul. I've thought about it and have lots of anecdotes written down. Although @AgentPete seems to think the market for these sorts of books has dried up.
Hmm, I may have been too hasty / unclear. Simple clones of Peter Mayle aren’t really popular now. But there’s still got to be a market for get-away-from-it-all books that hit the current zeitgeist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

34 Fabulous Writing Conferences in July 2019

News A Clever Way of Encouraging Reading

Back