Tips on Maximising Ebook Sales

Anne Rice hits out at 'internet lynch mobs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Clegg

Basic
Aug 7, 2014
Swindon, UK
I'm always interested in the source of words, and was interested to see the Bloomsbury science imprint Sigma tweet this:

Hello? Before 1877 this phrase had no meaning. #Onthisday Thomas Edison created the greeting 'hello' as an alternative to 'ahoy, ahoy'.
I had previously heard this on QI and thought it, yes, quite interesting, but seeing in when at the computer inclined me to a spot of fact checking. Dipping into the ever-wonderful online version of the OED I discovered the earliest referenced use was 1826 (' Hello, Jim! I'll tell you what: I've a sharp knife and feel as if I'd like to cut up something or other.' if you want to know.) and there were a good half dozen examples from both the UK and the US pre-dating Edison.

So it makes a great story, but it's just not true. I don't know where Sigma got the story from, but I do wonder if they had fallen for the mistake of using QI as a source...

There's a few things on QI that pop up and are completely wrong, I suppose if they have fallen into the QI trap then it just shows that they haven't been doing their homework ;)

One of the most commonly-believed bits of knowledge is that peeing on jellyfish stings stops the pain. It appears on old episodes of Q.I., and is also featured in Friends where a whole episode was built around this myth.

If you really want to know what to do when stung, see this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23502032

I think that such incorrect old wives' tales fall into the category of 'when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.'

I *think* that "Hello!" was an expression of alarm or surprise and it was Eddison who adopted it as a greeting. Which may explain the confusion

I *think* that "Hello!" was an expression of alarm or surprise and it was Eddison who adopted it as a greeting. Which may explain the confusion
No confusion. The 1826 reference, as I mention above, was 'Hello, Jim! I'll tell you what: I've a sharp knife and feel as if I'd like to cut up something or other,' and pretty well all the pre-Edison references in the OED are greetings.

Doesn't QI stand for Quota of Ignorance? I thought the whole show was based on misconceptions and old wives tales, but then i haven't really watched it.

In a recent episode they did acknowledge that a lare proportion of their facts become out of date (not quite the same thing as the OP, I know) as a result of new research, and that panelists' answers may well have been correct when judged by these newer data.
They did a retrospective recount and Alan Davies received an extra 1700 or so points for all his previous 'bloopers'!

I had always heard (like, since I was a child) that Edison invented the expression Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tips on Maximising Ebook Sales

Anne Rice hits out at 'internet lynch mobs'

Back