Specific Songs in Stories

Watching Sir Anthony Hopkins's dream come true fifty years later...

L

Gender Discrimination in Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

River_Writer

I've written a short story that has, as part of its ending, a song playing while something major happens. I specify that it's a song that always provokes an emotional reaction in the main character, which is exactly what happens in the scene. I'm going back and forth on whether or not it's more impactful to name what song it is. In the first draft, I specified the song, but in my final draft I'm questioning whether or not to do this.

On the one hand, knowing what song it is can add to the punch of the scene if people know the song, and especially if they have an opinion of it (it was very popular several years ago). Then again, if the reader does not know the song, it could just be a distraction or annoying, perhaps?

On the other hand, would it be a better choice to write that a specific song is playing, but not say what song it is, allowing the reader to wonder, and perhaps fill in their own song? Not sure where to land with this.

Hmm... that's a tricky situation. I'd say if you plan to write the title of the song or any lyrics, be aware of copyrighting issues. Wouldn't want you to get sued :)

If you are merely naming the song, but not actually using it, I wouldn't think it's a problem. You may be best to list it in credits naming the author?

Let's assume any legal concerns with listing the title of a song and the band who performs it, which is all I'm talking about (there are no quoted lyrics), are covered. I'm talking about a short story, not a film. I'm hoping for input about whether or not specifying what song it is works better than just saying it's a song that usually evokes an emotional reaction in the MC, but not saying what song it is.

Here is the part of the story I'm talking about:

She steeled herself, giving no quarter, until she heard the unmistakable smugness in his voice. He knew he had found the ideal weapon. “Oh, here we go! Let’s put this one on repeat, shall we?”

Stephanie stood up, intent on running, but he shoved her down hard. [SONG TITLE & BAND NAMED HERE] began to pour out of the tiny speakers. This song had proven to be an emotional trigger song for her in the past, and he knew it.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it as is, with the song named, or if it works better if I just let it be known the song is an emotional trigger for her, but I don't say what song it is, letting the reader wonder, or perhaps think about what song might do the same to them.

I think naming the song would be impactful here.

I wrote a story where the characters are watching Manhunter (1986), and I mentioned that the protagonist is fighting the killer as In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida blares in the background. The characters notice the screams outside the cottage, not on the television, and go outside to find the zombies advancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watching Sir Anthony Hopkins's dream come true fifty years later...

L

Gender Discrimination in Publishing

Back