An Early Christmas Greeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol Rose

Basic
Sep 13, 2014
Indiana, USA
http://www.axs.com/top-10-songs-for-writers-about-writing-51660

What's on YOUR writing playlist? None of these are on mine, but this was a fun post I came across this morning while *cough! cough* taking a break from the current manuscript.

My writing playlist changes all the time, and is a mix of songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, some stuff from this century (LOL!!), Christmas songs (this time of year), and even some Christian rock. Don't judge. I'm a closet fan of Keith Green and Amy Grant's early stuff. :D

I don't have a playlist when I write. I can't. If I do, the tempo of my writing tends to follow the tempo of what I am listening to(sometimes this works for the better, but mostly not). I do, however, have eclectic tastes in music. My favs are AC-DC, Boston, Eric Clapton, Moody Blues, some Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Wagner, plus some movie themes.

I don't have a playlist when I write. I can't. If I do, the tempo of my writing tends to follow the tempo of what I am listening to(sometimes this works for the better, but mostly not). I do, however, have eclectic tastes in music. My favs are AC-DC, Boston, Eric Clapton, Moody Blues, some Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Wagner, plus some movie themes.
I never thought about that. Now I'll be watching to see if my writing speeds up when the songs do. :)

http://www.axs.com/top-10-songs-for-writers-about-writing-51660

What's on YOUR writing playlist? None of these are on mine, but this was a fun post I came across this morning while *cough! cough* taking a break from the current manuscript.

My writing playlist changes all the time, and is a mix of songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, some stuff from this century (LOL!!), Christmas songs (this time of year), and even some Christian rock. Don't judge. I'm a closet fan of Keith Green and Amy Grant's early stuff. :D

I liked some of Amy Grant's work...but that was last century...luckily, I don't have to worry about the next century.

I usually can't write with music--I think I'm too much of a musician, and focus on it instead of writing. If I'm working in the public library, however, and the knitting group (who must be mostly deaf, because they YELL at each other, rather than talk) moves in next to me, I put on Mark O'Connor's Americana Symphony, or some Aaron Copland, Beethoven or Mozart--occasionally John Williams (either the composer or the guitarist, depending on my mood).

I tend to do the same thing. Just one list I update now and then. :)

I found this out many years ago. I had written something to the LP of the "Star Wars" soundtrack. Someone else was reading it, without the soundtrack and it seemed flat to them. So I started the soundtrack while they read it again and they said it read quite well with the soundtrack playing.

I usually can't write with music--I think I'm too much of a musician, and focus on it instead of writing. If I'm working in the public library, however, and the knitting group (who must be mostly deaf, because they YELL at each other, rather than talk) moves in next to me, I put on Mark O'Connor's Americana Symphony, or some Aaron Copland, Beethoven or Mozart--occasionally John Williams (either the composer or the guitarist, depending on my mood).

Being a knitter, I can relate. They have to yell to be heard over the sound of the needles clicking together...o_O

I use the music mostly to block everyone else out, too. LOL!! :)

I have a playlist called 'Inspiration.' It is over 5 hours long, with quiet music from Loreena McKennitt, Ceredwen (a Welsh group), and a host of others that sound kinda medieval ;)

Well I didn't use to be able to write to music, but the last 20 scenes or so of my last book, I needed to block out noise around me, and I found that Five Finger Death Punch (how awesome of a band name is that?) is surprisingly easy to write to. Once I listened to that for a few minutes, I could let my phone transition into other music I've heard for years so it's just white noise mostly. But I have noticed that the music I listen to does affect what I'm writing as well, @Stephen Drake.

I also over the weekend got a story idea from a song I hadn't heard in a long time ("Cry Little Sister" cover by Seasons After), so I've been playing it on repeat 1) cuz I love the song and 2) to get more of the story notes written in my notebook.

Well I didn't use to be able to write to music, but the last 20 scenes or so of my last book, I needed to block out noise around me, and I found that Five Finger Death Punch (how awesome of a band name is that?) is surprisingly easy to write to. Once I listened to that for a few minutes, I could let my phone transition into other music I've heard for years so it's just white noise mostly. But I have noticed that the music I listen to does affect what I'm writing as well, @Stephen Drake.

I also over the weekend got a story idea from a song I hadn't heard in a long time ("Cry Little Sister" cover by Seasons After), so I've been playing it on repeat 1) cuz I love the song and 2) to get more of the story notes written in my notebook.

I don't think I've heard of that song or the groups.
Edit: I just did and it's way to much for me...

I don't think I've heard of that song or the groups.
Both groups are hard rock/metal bands. The song is actually a cover of the theme song to the movie "The Lost Boys" (which I haven't seen, but after looking it up, I now have to because it explains all the weird goth images of Kiefer Sutherland I've seen). I just prefer the Seasons After version.

Both groups are hard rock/metal bands. The song is actually a cover of the theme song to the movie "The Lost Boys" (which I haven't seen, but after looking it up, I now have to because it explains all the weird goth images of Kiefer Sutherland I've seen). I just prefer the Seasons After version.
Also the narrator for the History Channel, rest his soul.

I get story ideas from songs all the time. My problem is that I listen to music in the car...when inspiration strikes I have to pull over to scribble it down while the song is still playing. If I don't, the idea is lost forever...

I get story ideas from songs all the time. My problem is that I listen to music in the car...when inspiration strikes I have to pull over to scribble it down while the song is still playing. If I don't, the idea is lost forever...

lol...I get that all the time! Many years ago, I had a story idea for "Black Sabbath" "Ironman", but for the life of me, I can't remember where that storyline went.

I listened to one of "Five Fingered" songs. I thought "Enter Sandman" was heavy....
Ha! Yeah, FFDP is pretty intense if you go into them blindly. If you want a softer more melodic song, Far From Home, Remember Everything, or Walk Away are all great ones to start with. If you're at all interested :D
I don't get them very often, but I've started taking to heart something my hubby does: he writes fantasy, so a lot of his ideas come from a literal interpretation of a saying/idiom. So I started thinking about song lyrics because I'm *always* listening to music. Luckily I'm almost always in the car with Michael so I have him to bounce my idea off of, which solidifies it in my head. :)

I don't get them very often, but I've started taking to heart something my hubby does: he writes fantasy, so a lot of his ideas come from a literal interpretation of a saying/idiom. So I started thinking about song lyrics because I'm *always* listening to music. Luckily I'm almost always in the car with Michael so I have him to bounce my idea off of, which solidifies it in my head. :)
Who is Michael and what would your husband think?:eek::eek::eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

December submissions?

An Early Christmas Greeting

Back