Some hope...

Where is the December progress thread?

Writing Evil Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny to read these stories. I think many years ago there was a whole book with such rejection stories.

But I wonder if we get the full story in all cases. We seldom know what the rejected manuscript looked like. Could it be that in some cases the book would not have been a success if it hadn't found the right editor who could work with the author to produce the book we see today? I have absolutely no trad pub experience, I just wonder :)

But I wonder if we get the full story in all cases. We seldom know what the rejected manuscript looked like
The reason isn't always the manuscript; sometimes it's the letter.
In my early days as an editorial assistant, too, too many years ago, I was shown the treasured photocopy of the cover letter that had accompanied the manuscript of Watership Down.

More than 4 publishers (+ three agents) had turned it down, and this letter was a true UK publishing legend. I remember giving a gasp as I read it. It was a total 'How Not To' that raised several large red flags about the late Richard Adams, a career Civil Servant.

[The book was eventually published by an independent publisher, Rex Collings. Deciding that he could work with Adams for the sake of the book, he went on to make them both a great deal of money.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where is the December progress thread?

Writing Evil Characters

Back