Snifflesobstory....

The boring dinner party.

In the news: Writers on the pain of hindsight of publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Agent reply today. Glean the good, and onward... *wipes tear*. I knew the agent would be nice. This love thing...it's a mercurial alchemy.

'I thought this was a really entertaining novel with an action-packed and engaging storyline. I thought Sunny was a great character, easy to empathise with and possessed of a good narrative voice. I thought the mix of crime and horror was interesting although thought this was a more commercial read than the authors you’ve compared it to. No bad thing. However, while I did enjoy this novel and think it has a lot of potential I’m afraid I didn’t love it quite enough to take it any further. Another agent may feel totally differently as there’s no doubt you can write well!'

78aea52abcffaa23fa00c6999ca3e7df.jpg

Or watch the birds or animals or flowers, or laugh with a friend...

Last edited:
I'm relieved, though, at the suggestion it is more commercial than authors I'd referenced. Earlier feedback intimated it wasn't sufficiently commercial, and I conducted a metaphor cull.

metaphor.jpg

Sorry to hear it wasn't for them, but I think it's great that they are saying a lot of good things about your writing and the book! I'm not sure, but I think things like commercial or not commercial might be a matter of opinion, like so many things in this querying business. :confused: One person says white, the other black! What's wrong with orange? :(

And it was a very nice agent reply, by the way, be proud; that should give you some serious impetus...

Agent reply today. Glean the good, and onward... *wipes tear*. I knew the agent would be nice. This love thing...it's a mercurial alchemy.

'I thought this was a really entertaining novel with an action-packed and engaging storyline. I thought Sunny was a great character, easy to empathise with and possessed of a good narrative voice. I thought the mix of crime and horror was interesting although thought this was a more commercial read than the authors you’ve compared it to. No bad thing. However, while I did enjoy this novel and think it has a lot of potential I’m afraid I didn’t love it quite enough to take it any further. Another agent may feel totally differently as there’s no doubt you can write well!'

78aea52abcffaa23fa00c6999ca3e7df.jpg

Or watch the birds or animals or flowers, or laugh with a friend...
Another one from Julie. Take the praise and carry on! You can do it!

You gotta love the positives in the rejection, then cry over the fact you can't escape it's still a rejection! It's almost like a tease "almost, almost, nar not touching it". Wouldn't that drive you nuts? I can't really say, I'm already nuts so I am biased just a touch. ;)

Lit-Tease! :eek: Go for those agent-nuts (you know what I mean, I hope) Squirrels, go!

This is us...

Last edited:
In the current economy, people are buying things that they know will work, and that includes books. Persistence is the key to success, as who knows what's around the next corner?

We're all familiar with stories about writers who were rejected by agents and publishers many times, before achieving success and generating millions of sales. I came across another 'overnight success' tale recently, that of James Patterson, who revealed:

"When I was 26, I wrote my first mystery, The Thomas Berryman Number, and it was turned down by, I don’t know, 31 publishers. Then it won an Edgar for Best First Novel. Go figure.”

http://indiebookwriters.com/2010/07/05/what-did-james-patterson-know-that-31-publishers-did-not/

There's a charmless but effective exhortation, an expression that is commonly shouted by crowds at sporting events: 'Make them have it.' This is intended to urge one's favourite on to victory. We writers should remember it, and not become shrinking violets when we receive another rejection from a lily-livered agent. If they don't want your finely crafted story, then someone else will, so throw it over the transom.

Make them have it!

Commiserations Katie-Ellen. Seems like you got really close with this one. Once the initial rejection blues fade that's got to be encouraging.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
Thomas A. Edison

This letter shows that you're close...
I like that — way to go, Steven.

Yeah, exactly.

'I thought this was a really entertaining novel with an action-packed and engaging storyline. I thought Sunny was a great character, easy to empathise with and possessed of a good narrative voice. I thought the mix of crime and horror was interesting although thought this was a more commercial read than the authors you’ve compared it to. No bad thing.'

If you read this in isolation surely it's exactly what literary agents should be looking for.

It's so subjective. I guarantee you if you were in her circle of acquintances that would have tipped the scales in your favour. I'm sorry I just can't help that conclusion. I would hazard a guess that most agents publish more recommendations than any other submission. But agents are very precious about connecting with anyone directly. Maybe there is a way in to the circle of elusive light....I'm sure ....just ask ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The boring dinner party.

In the news: Writers on the pain of hindsight of publishing

Back