Snifflesobstory....

The boring dinner party.

In the news: Writers on the pain of hindsight of publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so subjective. I guarantee you if you were in her circle of acquintances that would have tipped the scales in your favour. I'm sorry I just can't help that conclusion. I would hazard a guess that most agents publish more recommendations than any other submission. But agents are very precious about connecting with anyone directly. Maybe there is a way in to the circle of elusive light....I'm sure ....just ask ;).
A lot of agents will tell you on their website how many or percentages of new clients that come from the slush pile. If you were in their shoes, wouldn't you also be more willing to take someone on if someone you trusted knew them and how they worked? Job applications work similarly, too. And that's what this is: a job interview of sorts.

You're right; it is subjective. But if they love your book but can't sell it, do you really want them to take it anyway? They feel the same way. They want to love your book but they also want be able to sell your book. It will do no good sitting on the agent's desk or in an editor's trash bin. Unfortunately that's the game we're in. Take it with a grain of salt and submit to more.

I apologize if this sounds really callous. That's not how I'm intending it. I just like to look at it from the agent's side and try to understand what they're going through as well.

A lot of agents will tell you on their website how many or percentages of new clients that come from the slush pile. If you were in their shoes, wouldn't you also be more willing to take someone on if someone you trusted knew them and how they worked? Job applications work similarly, too. And that's what this is: a job interview of sorts.

You're right; it is subjective. But if they love your book but can't sell it, do you really want them to take it anyway? They feel the same way. They want to love your book but they also want be able to sell your book. It will do no good sitting on the agent's desk or in an editor's trash bin. Unfortunately that's the game we're in. Take it with a grain of salt and submit to more.

I apologize if this sounds really callous. That's not how I'm intending it. I just like to look at it from the agent's side and try to understand what they're going through as well.

This isn't callous at all. And I'm in agreement with you too. And yes if I was in agent's shoes i would be more willing to take someone on that I trusted. That's my stance too. But from my research and human psychology the meeting of minds is far more powerful than the submission of a letter. The added dimension of meeting with someone allows the 'falling in love' part with your book because they also know they author. This is my conclusion from my own research.

From our perspective (writer's) it is merely a question of whether it is worth pursuing the unconventional route in tandem with the submission process. Adding another path to the goal may or may not be worth our time but again this is for each of us to judge. My suggestion to begin that route would be to ask all my contacts on linkedin or other social media sites (those that I feel comfortable to approach) and also maybe visit a festival or two to network (there are all sorts of ways to approach people in a polite way).

I was referred to a publisher who has his finger on all major stores knows the book industry inside out and yet we didn't click at our meeting. This is fine. There are others like him who may click with me, and as you know I have clicked with others who are incredibly supportive in helping. I'm merely offering an 'out of the book' thinking ;). I appreciate some people don't take to new ideas as well as others and that's fine too. We cater to what is comfortable to each of us. I could, of course, keep my ideas to myself but where's the fun in that. :D

NOT CALLOUS. Just having a bit of fun, venting. I comment on subs so rarely. It's business. The frustration is in the question of whatever magic ingredient was missing, with other things working. Sometimes it's just emotional alchemy. I know that as a reader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The boring dinner party.

In the news: Writers on the pain of hindsight of publishing

Back