Sniffing Books!

Fantasy writers

RSL Giles St Aubyn Awards for Non-Fiction - Deadline Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
At the end of a working week, I usually treat myself to a longed-for book or CD on eBay. I’ve just purchased a book on philosophy written by Lin Yutang.

The Importance of Living was going for about a tenner new as a paperback, but I was the only bidder on a used hardback copy published in 1947—probably because it’s in well-used condition with browned pages and a tatty cover. Such things don’t bother me: it’s the contents I’m after.

I like that the book shows its age. I wonder how may readers have eyed its pages, gleaning wisdom from the author’s thoughts. That’s something impossible to ponder with a Kindle or smartphone or tablet.

s-l1600.jpg

We’ve previously discussed old books in several threads, including writing on pages and the potential health hazards of insect infestation.

https://colony.litopia.com/threads/bookworms-the-other-sort.3579/

https://colony.litopia.com/threads/do-you-write-in-books.3296/

Should I ever get to heaven (I’m hellbound! :angry-face-with-horns:) it would be nice to think that parts of it smell of new books, while others pong of old volumes!

I’m looking forward to sniffing my latest purchase. :rolleyes:

Do you like the aroma of freshly printed books and of those that are disintegrating?

Do you own any smelly ancient books?

Loves-Books.gif

I love the smell of old books. And new ones. Of any ink and paper actually... When we were small, we used to get a Christmas book/magazine in school (the excitement!) and it had a very specific ink smell. Every now and then, I get a whiff of it and I'm immediately transported back.

When I was about 10, I bought a book that smelled of wood smoke. The book shop had a fire and some of their stock survived which they then sold off cheaply because 'they stank'. I actually quite liked the smell.

Reminds me of Bibliosexuality, a book about, well, you can guess. Written by a copywriter I used, sweet guy called Clive Sinclair. Who introduced me to the writings of Isaac Bashevis Singer...

For a time, I collected first printings. Many came from rifling through dusty boxes at carboot sales, others from dealers. Some I flick through, and some are too precious to touch. But they all smell great in their various ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasy writers

RSL Giles St Aubyn Awards for Non-Fiction - Deadline Approaching

Back