Small article accepted

J

The hardest thing about writing?

Reminder: Great Short Fiction Reads await your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Steele

Not really worth a fanfare, but I'm pleased today that my submission for next month's Synaesthesia Magazine has been accepted. It's their 'Atlas issue', so I've got a few hundred words about bespoke cartography and some examples of hand drawn maps included.

It's my first publication, so I'm happy. Next time I'll try to write for a magazine that's easier to spell.

I've been really impressed by how supportive and patient they've been throughout the process. The first piece didn't fit their brief, but they told me they had really liked it, even though it didn't fit their style. (A good lesson there to read a magazine properly before submitting to it). They gave me revised guidelines, and the finished product is something they like. It's taken quite a bit of work on both sides, but I can heartily recommend them as great people to work with.

Not really worth a fanfare, but I'm pleased today that my submission for next month's Synaesthesia Magazine has been accepted. It's their 'Atlas issue', so I've got a few hundred words about bespoke cartography and some examples of hand drawn maps included.

It's my first publication, so I'm happy. Next time I'll try to write for a magazine that's easier to spell.

I've been really impressed by how supportive and patient they've been throughout the process. The first piece didn't fit their brief, but they told me they had really liked it, even though it didn't fit their style. (A good lesson there to read a magazine properly before submitting to it). They gave me revised guidelines, and the finished product is something they like. It's taken quite a bit of work on both sides, but I can heartily recommend them as great people to work with.
Every success is worth fanfare.

Congratulations! Oh, I see why they call it Synaesthesia Magazine. I had a friend that lived with that disorder. Truly, congratulations, David. Well deserved!

Thanks, both. Anybody else got any stories of positive coaching from third parties?

Of course it's worth a fanfare, well done! I have often thought about writing something for Synaesthesia, as the neurological crossovers of the condition are fascinating, plenty of scope for weird fiction ... so many magazines, so little time. I get the impression that your piece is not fiction though?

Thanks, both. Anybody else got any stories of positive coaching from third parties?
Yup. The wonderful people at Black Denim magazine gave me a lot of valuable criticism and feedback for a story that I submitted to them. They asked for a rewrite in line with their criticisms, which I did. They also warned me that rewrites hardly ever get accepted, as, in their words, 'what tends to happen is that the writer drifts further from their original vision without ever quite giving the editor what he wants' - so nobody is happy. And indeed, my rewrite did not quite make it past the line. But I don't mind, because the story is now far better than it was, thanks to their feedback, and I am confident that it will get accepted somewhere, perhaps after a little more tweaking.

Oh YAY!!! Well done you. You must be so chuffed :)
k28zr.jpg

Congratulations! It does deserve a fanfare.

Always celebrate your milestones.

I read something interesting a while back. For a child who gets knocked back once you need at least 3 positive experiences to neutralise the effects of the knock back. I am sure this continues into adulthood but uncertain how many positives we need to get into our happy place. But this must count as one great event. Well done!

Last edited:
so many magazines, so little time. I get the impression that your piece is not fiction though?
Yes. I originally sent 1200 words on a real-life incident that happened to me while mapping in Iraq, but it wasn't their thing.
At their request I submitted 700 words about my approach to bespoke maps. They made some minor changes and sent it back to me for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

The hardest thing about writing?

Reminder: Great Short Fiction Reads await your decision!

Back