Roll Up! Take Your First Steps Into... Mastodon!

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Question: What is screaming in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Untitled design(9).pngEveryone is talking about Mastodon at the moment – the free and open-source alternative to Twitter.

Although at first glance it looks very similar to Twitter, it works in a very different way. Twitter is a highly-centralized system. Should you dare to tweet anything that offends whoever the boss happens to be - then you may find your presence on his platform is… limited. Or shadow-banned. Or something equally oubliette-ish.

That’s not possible with Mastodon, because it's a network of independently-run servers. There is no Mr. Big: therefore there’s no possibility of being banned from the platform. It’s not corporate-controlled social media – it’s user-controlled.

Mastodon has been around for seven years but has only recently seen a surge in growth and media attention.

Litopia has always been at the forefront of tech innovation (think about all the early podcasts we did) and so yes, we’ve just set up our own Mastodon server, which is now a constituent part of the 5000-strong network of Mastodon servers collectively known as the “fediverse”.

The hard part has already been done, i.e. setting it up.

Now it's over to you to experiment with! Will Mastodon overthrow Twitter - and could it become a valuable new way to discover authors and their works?

Untitled design(10).png

Hi @Bloo. Yes, I was going through my images and found a header template I'd used a while back for, I think, my Facebook page, and found it fit better, so with a little more cropping and adding the quote words in anew I got it to fit fairly well. Whew! Thanks so much for your help, though. Soooo appreciated!

Outstanding !

It looks good, Carol. I could see the image was quality right away. Good show :cool:

Upvote 0
@Carol MS Done it. Take a look at my banner (click on my profile) It now fits beautifully.
You need to upload this file that I am attaching here- these are the right dimension 180x400 px
Let me know when you've seen it and I'll take it down.
Hi Eva! Just thought I'd let you know I finally got my header done. I found another image in my files--a header template I think I made for my Facebook header a long time ago--and it seemed to almost fit, so I cropped it a little more and then added in the quote wording anew so that it fits. It's still a little off center, which bothers me but I doubt anyone else notices. Whew! Done. Thanks, though, for all your efforts to help. I so much appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Carol, I have just looked at your banner - it doesn't fit- the right hand part of the words are cut off. As you saw YOUR picture on MY banner fitted perfectly that's because I uploaded THIS version of your picture which I had resized. I will upload it here and then you download it on your laptop and then upload it on your banner. BUT IT MUST BE THIS VERSION - THE OTHERS DON'T FIT. P.S. I've taken down your picture on my banner now. ;)

Attachments

• 3a Mastodon Header - quote-martta-karol-stories-like-jazz - Profile Image.jpg
    3a Mastodon Header - quote-martta-karol-stories-like-jazz - Profile Image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Carol, I have just looked at your banner - it doesn't fit- the right hand part of the words are cut off. As you saw YOUR picture on MY banner fitted perfectly that's because I uploaded THIS version of your picture which I had resized. I will upload it here and then you download it on your laptop and then upload it on your banner. BUT IT MUST BE THIS VERSION - THE OTHERS DON'T FIT. P.S. I've taken down your picture on my banner now. ;)
I'm completely baffled, Eva. I just read your message, then looked at my profile in the post thread for Litopia and it looks just fine as it did earlier today. @Bloo✒️ thought it looked good, too. The only words that are now cut off are the "MarttaKarol.com" on the left-hand side, which my headshot covers when it's applied, and I don't care if that's not visible. Otherwise, the whole quote now seems to fit fine. So I'm not sure what you are seeing. Maybe it has to do with our different browsers. I use Chrome. I'm not at all familiar with Duck Duck Go (fun name for it!). So I don't know what to say. It looks fine to me right now. Glad you took down my pic from your banner so you can get your own set up again. I didn't see my picture fitting on your banner well at all; the letters were way too big and much of the quote entirely missing. That's what was happening to me before, too, but creating an altogether new image seems, I think, to have solved the problem. I think so, at least. Anyway, I think I'm going to put this whole thing to bed for now and hope it's working okay, and put myself to bed, too. I'll check it again tomorrow to see what it looks like.

Upvote 0
I'm completely baffled, Eva. I just read your message, then looked at my profile in the post thread for Litopia and it looks just fine as it did earlier today. @Bloo✒️ thought it looked good, too. The only words that are now cut off are the "MarttaKarol.com" on the left-hand side, which my headshot covers when it's applied, and I don't care if that's not visible. Otherwise, the whole quote now seems to fit fine. So I'm not sure what you are seeing. Maybe it has to do with our different browsers. I use Chrome. I'm not at all familiar with Duck Duck Go (fun name for it!). So I don't know what to say. It looks fine to me right now. Glad you took down my pic from your banner so you can get your own set up again. I didn't see my picture fitting on your banner well at all; the letters were way too big and much of the quote entirely missing. That's what was happening to me before, too, but creating an altogether new image seems, I think, to have solved the problem. I think so, at least. Anyway, I think I'm going to put this whole thing to bed for now and hope it's working okay, and put myself to bed, too. I'll check it again tomorrow to see what it looks like.
At this point I think Mastodon is jinked because I saw your picture on my banner perfectly. Now I see on your banner, still the old picture about jazz but with the righthand side cut off. I don't see any other picture which you say you have uploaded at all. Yeek!!! :eek:

Upvote 0
BTW Carol, what do you see on my banner? Is it ok? Or do you see big words as you did before?
I see your colorful banner--love the background art--but only some of the words show up, including: "and you get aridity" right up against the top edge of the image and then "Take fiction out of reality / and you get the kitchen sink" approximately centered. Your name appears below but the bottom of the letters are shaved off. So it seems it's a problem similar to the one I was having. I'm not quite sure, but I think my final version ended up with 682x198 pixels horizontal and vertical measurements. When I cropped the template background down I then made the font size smaller to make it work.

Upvote 0
At this point I think Mastodon is jinked because I saw your picture on my banner perfectly. Now I see on your banner, still the old picture about jazz but with the righthand side cut off. I don't see any other picture which you say you have uploaded at all. Yeek!!! :eek:
Make sure you've deleted the image for my banner on every "try" you may have done as a test on your profile page and SAVE the deletion as a change. I forgot to do that several times and then kept coming up with old versions and was confused, until I realized I hadn't saved my deletions before inserting and saving a new image. Does that make any sense? Otherwise, I can't imagine why a partial picture is still showing up on my profile when you go to it. What is your starting point to go to it to look at it? Maybe try going to it by clicking on my name on one of the two or three posts I've done in the litopia conversation thread--if that's not what you're doing. I don't know what else to suggest. Mastodon is a bit crazy-making right now, if you ask me. Definitely not easy like Twitter.

Upvote 0
Make sure you've deleted the image for my banner on every "try" you may have done as a test on your profile page and SAVE the deletion as a change. I forgot to do that several times and then kept coming up with old versions and was confused, until I realized I hadn't saved my deletions before inserting and saving a new image. Does that make any sense? Otherwise, I can't imagine why a partial picture is still showing up on my profile when you go to it. What is your starting point to go to it to look at it? Maybe try going to it by clicking on my name on one of the two or three posts I've done in the litopia conversation thread--if that's not what you're doing. I don't know what else to suggest. Mastodon is a bit crazy-making right now, if you ask me. Definitely not easy like Twitter.
I've tried all your posts and the same old picture comes up. I've tried other people's banners and they all come up fine. Maybe you could ask someone else (apart from Bloo) to tell you what they see, could you not?

Upvote 0
@Jonny @Peyton Stafford @Hannah F -- Hey there! Can I ask for a quick bit of assistance? I've been having trouble uploading a banner photo for my Mastodon profile page because the sizing wasn't working. It looked right when uploaded but then upon checking the final version others would see, it was too large and half the words of a quote were cut off. I thought I'd finally solved the problem earlier today, and @Bloo✒️ also thought I had, but Eva--who was helping me try to figure the problem out--says she is still seeing the larger distorted photo when she goes to my profile page. We're baffled. She suggested I have some others of you check it out, so I'm wondering if you could take a quick moment to just look at my Mastodon profile page (I guess you go to it by clicking on my name on one of my posts) and then might tell me if you see a full quote with my pen name showing under it or if you only see part of a quote in letters too large for the image placement. No hurry. It would just help to have some other eyes on it to confirm what's showing up as we try to understand what's going on. Thanks!

Upvote 0
@Jonny @Peyton Stafford @Hannah F -- Hey there! Can I ask for a quick bit of assistance? I've been having trouble uploading a banner photo for my Mastodon profile page because the sizing wasn't working. It looked right when uploaded but then upon checking the final version others would see, it was too large and half the words of a quote were cut off. I thought I'd finally solved the problem earlier today, and @Bloo✒️ also thought I had, but Eva--who was helping me try to figure the problem out--says she is still seeing the larger distorted photo when she goes to my profile page. We're baffled. She suggested I have some others of you check it out, so I'm wondering if you could take a quick moment to just look at my Mastodon profile page (I guess you go to it by clicking on my name on one of my posts) and then might tell me if you see a full quote with my pen name showing under it or if you only see part of a quote in letters too large for the image placement. No hurry. It would just help to have some other eyes on it to confirm what's showing up as we try to understand what's going on. Thanks!
Suggest Eva refresh her browser.

Upvote 0
@Jonny @Peyton Stafford @Hannah F Could you all do the same for my banner also. I see it correctly but Carol sees it distorted. Please help out. Thank you.

p.s. I'm stepping out for a while- I'm off to buy water-melon plants.
I know....I'm supposed to be in bed sleeping. I don't know how I always manage to find more things to do and make time go by!
But more importantly, I'm passing on that Peyton has suggested you try refreshing your browser. Why don't I ever think of that? Hope it works!

Upvote 0
@Jonny @Peyton Stafford @Hannah F Could you all do the same for my banner also. I see it correctly but Carol sees it distorted. Please help out. Thank you.

p.s. I'm stepping out for a while- I'm off to buy water-melon plants.
Hi Eva

Don't know if this helps.

No distortion on your banner (it's crystal clear) but as you can see from the attached pic it appears to have been cropped top and bottom.

That's on my Chrome browser

Eva.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi @Eva Ulian

Your banner is better but for me it still has the Take reality out of fiction line missing.

Carol's seems perfect I can read it all and is not cut off on the right side as per your pic above.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Question: What is screaming in this video?

Back