Roll Up! Take Your First Steps Into... Mastodon!

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Question: What is screaming in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Untitled design(9).pngEveryone is talking about Mastodon at the moment – the free and open-source alternative to Twitter.

Although at first glance it looks very similar to Twitter, it works in a very different way. Twitter is a highly-centralized system. Should you dare to tweet anything that offends whoever the boss happens to be - then you may find your presence on his platform is… limited. Or shadow-banned. Or something equally oubliette-ish.

That’s not possible with Mastodon, because it's a network of independently-run servers. There is no Mr. Big: therefore there’s no possibility of being banned from the platform. It’s not corporate-controlled social media – it’s user-controlled.

Mastodon has been around for seven years but has only recently seen a surge in growth and media attention.

Litopia has always been at the forefront of tech innovation (think about all the early podcasts we did) and so yes, we’ve just set up our own Mastodon server, which is now a constituent part of the 5000-strong network of Mastodon servers collectively known as the “fediverse”.

The hard part has already been done, i.e. setting it up.

Now it's over to you to experiment with! Will Mastodon overthrow Twitter - and could it become a valuable new way to discover authors and their works?

Untitled design(10).png

This is a great idea. Thank you
Flower Power Wow GIF

Upvote 0
signed up too as am interested to see how it differs from other SM platforms - but so no auto email inbox or spam

Upvote 0
signed up too as am interested to see how it differs from other SM platforms - but so no auto email inbox or spam

Same thing happened to me - no e-mail and nothing in spam. Pete had to manually confirm my status. I just did the same for you. It's not intuitive; the "confirm" button is among a bunch of similarly-sized buttons on a screen I had to hunt for.

It feels a bit claustrophobic in there now because it's just Litopians - and only a few of us. Hopefully, we can grow and spread out.

Upvote 0
Are we all @litopia.me?

Looks that way. It's the server where the Mastodon Litopia instance resides. It isn't an e-mail address (although it looks like one).

Choose your @username with care, because changing it later on is not at all straightforward.

However, a display name can be easily changed and even reverted (I just tried it).

Upvote 0
Once in-is there anything to do first to connect? Do I look Mastodon up on my phone and join there too?

You can follow the Litopia link on your computer or mobile browser and log in with your username and password.

Otherwise, you can download the Mastodon app to your mobile device, and go from there. The Husky app also works (I prefer the UI, and the doggie icon is cute).

Upvote 0
We need a reason to use Mastodon. Otherwise, it's just another juvenile SM (Social Media not Sado-Masochism or Social Medea @Jonny) platform monetizing itself by sucking the one thing out of us we can never get back--our time. If using it will promote Litopia I am in. Otherwise, I am out. I do not need to log into it to get info already on Litopia. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree Peyton. Only had the briefest of fiddles so far and I'm scratching my head a little to see its relevance in a sea of alternatives. I'm not particularly excited by it if I'm being honest.

I think the recent big buzz about Mastodon was precipitated after a certain new owner bought Twitter and alarm bells began to ring over what changes were to be made.

Back in the day I had a lot of time for Twitter, but these days it seems little better than an open sewer chugging along for many angry shouty people to shout angrily.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree Peyton. Only had the briefest of fiddles so far and I'm scratching my head a little to see its relevance in a sea of alternatives. I'm not particularly excited by it if I'm being honest.

I think the recent big buzz about Mastodon was precipitated after a certain new owner bought Twitter and alarm bells began to ring over what changes were to be made.

Back in the day I had a lot of time for Twitter, but these days it seems little better than an open sewer chugging along for many angry shouty people to shout angrily.
Sorry but I have to agree about open sewers. Thinking Roman Circus. Pleasing the crowd.

Upvote 0
We need a reason to use Mastodon. Otherwise, it's just another juvenile SM (Social Media not Sado-Masochism or Social Medea @Jonny) platform monetizing itself by sucking the one thing out of us we can never get back--our time. If using it will promote Litopia I am in. Otherwise, I am out. I do not need to log into it to get info already on Litopia. Thoughts?
I’m as inexperienced as everyone else re Mastodon.

I like the basic idea because it’s decentralized – i.e. it conforms to the fundamental principles of the internet all those decades ago – and it’s not a billionaire’s plaything.

My feeling at the moment is that the signal-to-noise ratio on Mastodon is much better than on commercial sites such as Twitter, Facebook, TikTok etc etc. Expect more intelligent conversations. However, this also means that you can’t expect one post to suddenly explode and go “viral”. It’s taken seven years for it to grow to where it is today, so it does need some dedication. In particular, you need to actively start following other people on other servers in order to let the Mastodon fediverse know that the Litopia server exists. You ought to slowly see this reflected in your home page posts etc.

Let’s give it a few months. I think we all need to have have some direct experience of Mastodon – it does feel as if we’re reaching a bit of an inflection point in the social media world, and it would be nice to think that something as diversified (and privacy-respecting) as Mastodon could replace some of the nastier aspects of today’s corporate social media.

Upvote 0
@Katie-Ellen...

Did you send a request to join the Litopia group a few hours ago? I can't figure out who it is by the e-mail. I tried to send a message through Litopia, but I'm not on your whitelist.

Let me know if that was you so I can let you in :cool:

Otherwise, please tell me if you didn't make the request, so the right person can step forward. I don't wanna leave anyone out :eek:

@EVERYONE...

A reminder to please include some relevant info in the "Reasons for joining" field (such as a Litopia user name). We can't always figure out who's making the request. Do I have to borrow Emily's wooden spoon :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Question: What is screaming in this video?

Back