Resolutions and Self-Forgiveness

Alternatives To Skype For Web Conferencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
As another year shudders to a close, I find myself contemplating a year of making 150 submissions to agents, months of editing and beginning my second novel. I'd hoped to finish it this year, but I'm not upset that I haven't as I've done so much editing that I've been seeing commas in my sleep.

Self-forgiveness is a vital attribute for any writer to nurture. We can't do everything, though it feels like we have to sometimes...

I amuse myself with this thought, when I don't get things done on time:

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
- Douglas Adams

As for New Year's resolutions, I simply say to myself 'Do It!' The story won't exist until I write it, the editing won't do itself...just do it! I may not be in the mood for creative writing, but I can work.

This is my very last post in 2015. Glasses are clinking in the other room and conversation is filtering through. The only resolution I can think of for 2016 is simply to keep being an author - but that is going to happen anyway; there's no need to make a resolution about it. I could form some intentions about getting better as an indie book marketer but I'm not going to turn them into resolutions.

Two days ago I had a slot on a Facebook Event. I presented my first Sci-fi book, and I did the whole thing myself. I did not ask anyone for advice and no-one was in the wings waiting to help. It was a big achievement for me and I am very pleased with myself.

So, off I go into 2016. :D

A Happy New Year to you all.

Still 16 hours to go to the new year here. No rsolutions, except to keep on, keeping on, which is hard enough as it is. 2015 had some great highs, equal lows, actually some dirty lows, but that's another story. Hopefully 2016 might be a bit smoother and hopefully also one more move where we can settle and I can have a proper writing space! Also it'll see the completion of my 8th Ceridwen novel, and my 1st Wendy Tuthill novel, so fantasy to mystery. Maybe 2016 will be a lucky year and a smoother one. Good luck to all ;)

Resolved to stop using spreadsheets; can be very confusing as you think of all the 53 new permutations. Pencil and parchment will do. Also resolved to keep writing, but that's a given here, I believe.

I hereby resolve, in the name of all that's holy and unholy, before all you fine people here today, to desist from my mind-numbing & inexcusable habit of being, most-especially in this age of shortening attention spans, unnecessarily, reliably and heedlessly verbose.

Word.

I hereby resolve, in the name of all that's holy and unholy, before all you fine people here today, to desist from my mind-numbing & inexcusable habit of being, most-especially in this age of shortening attention spans, unnecessarily, reliably and heedlessly verbose.

Word.
Don't do it Octi; think of your family, think of your friends; those about you who are trying to live by (drumroll, please.....thanks)...words.
Perhaps just cut down by one a day.

Word.
Eh? You said 'verbose' when you could have said 'garrulously orotund'...I don't get it.

My resolution is very simple, but amazingly difficult - actually submit one of my novel samples to an agent during the course of the year. Every time I create my email submission bundle of three chapter sample, synopsis and letter and think this is it, only 'send' to go, an annoying inner me whispers 'Stop! are you sure? Well?' Result is another rework, another one or two months until new email complete, about to press send and 'Stop ..' etc. An eternal circle of doubt.

Only one? Hope you're kidding, expect to need to send to a hundred or more.The odds are something like 0.03% of submissions get picked up, other references have suggested 0.01%. Reality is a real kicker ;)

My resolution is very simple, but amazingly difficult - actually submit one of my novel samples to an agent during the course of the year. Every time I create my email submission bundle of three chapter sample, synopsis and letter and think this is it, only 'send' to go, an annoying inner me whispers 'Stop! are you sure? Well?' Result is another rework, another one or two months until new email complete, about to press send and 'Stop ..' etc. An eternal circle of doubt.
Self-doubt is a hard one. I can relate whenever I am getting ready to send out a sponsorship request. Always thinking about it than actually doing it. On the rare occasion I do finally press send, I'm usually in the 'what the heck' mood.

Just tell yourself you have to be in it to win it :D

I assume that some new, unknown writers, omitting celebs or public figures et al, have their very first submission published? Or am I being somewhat naïve? :(

I assume that some new, unknown writers, omitting celebs or public figures et al, have their very first submission published? Or am I being somewhat naïve? :(

Many say it's a numbers game. My first submission resulted in a full MS request but that's as far as I got. I'm on submission number 21/22 and going through a rewrite following feedback from agent who requested full MS.

As another year shudders to a close, I find myself contemplating a year of making 150 submissions to agents, months of editing and beginning my second novel. I'd hoped to finish it this year, but I'm not upset that I haven't as I've done so much editing that I've been seeing commas in my sleep.

Self-forgiveness is a vital attribute for any writer to nurture. We can't do everything, though it feels like we have to sometimes...

I amuse myself with this thought, when I don't get things done on time:

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
- Douglas Adams

As for New Year's resolutions, I simply say to myself 'Do It!' The story won't exist until I write it, the editing won't do itself...just do it! I may not be in the mood for creative writing, but I can work.

You´re absolutely right. As yoda once said --there is no try. it is do, or do not. May we all resolve to do this 2016.

Word.

i love it! Will steal it when you are not looking!

First submission published? Hm, maybe if your name is Harrison Ford, otherwise, almost never. Stephen King, 27 rejections of his first novel, before he threw it away, but his wife saved it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternatives To Skype For Web Conferencing

Back