Fanfare! Rejection from The New Yorker!

M

Cover discussion - Split off from my blurb thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pessimist will say the glass is half empty, an optimist will say it's half full, a Polish person will just keep refilling it ;) So I refil your glass up to the brink and say: Cheers man! You have something to send and get rejected! :D

I actually got a rejection letter from The New Yorker today! They didn't bother responding to my two previous efforts, so that's progress of a kind, isn't it? ...isn't it? Help me out here guys, I'm clutching at straws after six months of short story drought...:(
I'd frame that letter and put it on the wall near where I write. The New Yorker knows who you are. Next time they might buy the story.

Alas no; just the standard -:

Dear Marc,

We regret that we are unable to use the enclosed material. Thank you for
giving us the opportunity to consider it.

Sincerely,
The Editors

Funny thing is, it took me ages to work out who 'TNY' was - I had to go back through my submission records to match it up.

Last edited:
Heh. I had a subscription to the New Yorker from age 15-19. That magazine never failed to amaze me with its incongruity. I'd say be proud they rejected you -- as I recall, the stories they published back then were meaningless garbage dressed up in Sunday best. You're far too good of a writer for them. (And probably too coherent, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Cover discussion - Split off from my blurb thread

Back