Reading aloud

THOSE Christmas Circulars

The boring dinner party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinne Weiss

May 19, 2015
New Zealand
As I listened to tonight's installment of Darke (Septimus Heap series), read by my husband to the entire family, I mused about reading aloud. I grew up in a family that read aloud, even when we kids were in our late teens, or back home from Uni. Not every day, but now and again. And every Christmas eve, my father would read A Christmas Carol, start to finish, with all of us tearing up by the end. One of my best Christmas gifts ever was the CD my family sent of everyone taking turns reading A Christmas Carol, because I couldn't be there with them. When I married, my husband and I kept up the Christmas Carol tradition. When we had kids, we began to read aloud every night with them. Usually a parent reading, but sometimes the kids taking turns, too (especially on poetry nights, when we each read our favourites). The kids are now nearly 12 and 14, and we still read aloud nightly.

In some of my interpretation training workshops, I used to read aloud to participants in order to illustrate a variety of speaking techniques. I regularly had people come up to me afterwards to tell me how special it was to be read to--as adults they almost never have that opportunity.

What are your reading-aloud habits? Do you write for your work to be read aloud?

You know, I've never read aloud anything I've written. I suspect I ought to, I presume it helps pick up clumsy writing?

Once, when I was ill many years ago, I listened to a Radio 4 adaptation of Lord of the Rings. It was much like being read aloud to, and it was very nice. I think I would probably like being read to still, but I'm not sure if my attention span is long enough any more.

As a child I was always read to. My dad used to read LOTR and The Hobbit. Though despite much encouragement, I've never been comfortable reading aloud, especially if I have to stand up in front of others. I guess I don't much like how my voice sounds against expectant silence.

I don't read books aloud right now, but if/when we have wee ones, that will definitely be a thing every night. Hubby and I both love books so we will instill that in our kids as well.

As for writing, I do read my books aloud as part of my writers group and it helps immensely. It picks up long-winded sentences, overused words, misspelled words that look almost right. I even read my blog posts out loud before I publish them because there's always something I missed and that helps me slow down my reading. It's harder for me to skim over my words.

We have never had reading aloud that I can remember. I think when my two children were small I read them the usual fair tale books, but that would have stopped before they started school?

Yes, I read my writing aloud all the time, to catch mistakes, poor wording, etc. There are two time slots on National Radio here in which they read a story--not a kid thing (Whoa! Definitely not a kid thing! I've had to turn it off when the kids are in the car now and again...)--and I always enjoy it when I happen to catch it. Maybe it's because of my background in personal heritage interpretation, but to me there's something incredibly powerful about reading aloud.

My mother sat my younger brother and I on the bed, and read to us every night starting when I was about five. She would always read Sherlock Holmes — my favorite was The Hound of the Baskervilles. And no, auto-correct, I don't mean Basketballs.

It is definitely worthwhile Marc — it is pretty good for catching awkward dialogue. If it doesn't sound right or it's difficult to spit out correctly, it might benefit a going-over.

I've also recorded much of my first book, and listened to it read back to myself — that's even better for catching bad dialogue.

@Marc Joan When I first started reading my work aloud to myself I felt super uncomfortable. I don't know why, but I actually found it embarrassing even if there was no one around to hear it! I still feel awkward doing it now. So, if you do when you first start don't be put off by it! For someone like me who often writes long, drawn out sentences, it's pretty damn helpful! :p

@Robinne Weiss I had the same tradition with my mom. It wasn't on Christmas eve but in the weeks leading up to Christmas she would read Christmas Carol to me. It's a really great memory! My only memory of reading aloud to anyone currently is when I read my first chapter to my boyfriend... and he fell asleep. :confused::D

@1408 Re: falling asleep...I remember one Christmas eve in a hotel room in Panama City with my in-laws. They were taken with the idea of reading A Christmas Carol, and we started in on it, sharing the reading. But the rest of us fell asleep, and my father-in-law just kept reading aloud, with great inflection, voices, and everything while we snored around him. :)

Some of my favourite times with our kids was reading to them - especially when they got older and the books were really interesting for me too. It's brilliant bonding.

As for reading your own work aloud, I wouldn't usually do this at a gig - as a non-fiction writer I tend to do talks based on by books, rather than read extracts. But I strongly encourage reading aloud as part of the editing process. I'm currently doing work in Bristol University with the RLF and it's one of the top recommendations they suggest to help students with their writing. I've been writing professionally for 20 years, but I still read any articles/short pieces I've written aloud to check rhythm, punctuation, clumsy words etc. It's a great technique.

You're doing well without, Marc, or I'd say it's vital for editing.
Kind of you to say that, but interestingly, in view of all the above comments, I tried reading out something I'm having trouble with only today, and it did indeed highlight some issues. Thing is, this is going to slow down the editing process massively, coz it takes so long to read aloud as opposed to in one's head. So the right way must be leave the reading aloud until you think you've nailed the story. It's the prelude to the last edit. Otherwise nothing will ever get finished.

I would hazard a guess that we have been read to as children, not least in primary school during story time.

I remember first listening to The Hobbit in such a situation. I think I was 9 or 10. It stands out to me as a formative moment, cementing a budding love of fantasy and science fiction writing, and stories in general.

I think reading stories out loud is not just a means to share one book with more than one person at a time, but if done well, can spark imaginations and creativity that blossoms later on. I am eternally grateful for the school teachers that gave us those opportunities to fall in love with stories, and with writing.

Kind of you to say that, but interestingly, in view of all the above comments, I tried reading out something I'm having trouble with only today, and it did indeed highlight some issues. Thing is, this is going to slow down the editing process massively, coz it takes so long to read aloud as opposed to in one's head. So the right way must be leave the reading aloud until you think you've nailed the story. It's the prelude to the last edit. Otherwise nothing will ever get finished.

Time is an illusion, and thus any embracing of said illusion to hear your work rolling around a room, across the ether can only benefit you. So speaks the stealer of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THOSE Christmas Circulars

The boring dinner party.

Back