Read for....

I think the.....

Better keep.....

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Read for pleasure. If you like Tolstoy, read Tolstoy; if you like Dostoevsky, read Dostoevsky. Push it a little, but don’t read something totally alien to your nature and then say, “I’ll never be able to write like that.” Of course you won’t. Read books you’d like to write. If you want to write literature, read literature. Write books you’d like to read. Follow your own weirdness . . . .

The more you read, the more you will write. The better the stuff you read, the better the stuff you will write. You have many years. You can develop a taste for good literature gradually. Keep a list of books you want to read. You soon learn that “classics” are books that are endlessly interesting almost all of them. You can keep rereading them all your life about every ten years and various ones light up for you at different stages of your life.

Annie Dillard
(from advice sent to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill students.)

5209.jpg

So, so true, although I find it harder to read science fiction these days. I loved it when I was younger and read all the classics in the genre, and still have them. But today? I guess I find it harder to 'imaginate' the worlds. Wyndham. Wells, Crichton, ok, Philip K Dick too, because I can relate them to my frame of reference. Dune would be harder for me to read these days.

I think the.....

Better keep.....

Back