Quick question from a noob

How do you roof it without any scaffolding?

Question: Editors

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you have?
Most applications let you do a save as to something like .txt or .pdf or similar. Open Office allows a save as a .doc or .docx but if you can't do these things, what else is possible?
-- .pdf doesn't allow us to make comments in the document, so not as useful.

What do you have?
Most applications let you do a save as to something like .txt or .pdf or similar. Open Office allows a save as a .doc or .docx but if you can't do these things, what else is possible?
-- .pdf doesn't allow us to make comments in the document, so not as useful.
I use Open Office, though I hate it. Also Pages on my Mac. I've never been able to open a .doc with Open Office, but maybe I just don't know how. Yes, in these areas I'm a complete idiot.

Or have a go with Google docs. It's free. You can work on your stuff anywhere, on any device, and you can save files as Word docs (and it reads Word docs as well).

I use Open Office, though I hate it. Also Pages on my Mac. I've never been able to open a .doc with Open Office, but maybe I just don't know how. Yes, in these areas I'm a complete idiot.
The Google docs option sounds a good one to copy your work and paste to that to save it as a .doc.

To open a .doc in Open Office, find the doc in the file explorer, right click, and 'open with' -- then find Open Office as the app to use to open. Should work, if not, may need to check if Open Office is up to date with updates (I don't know how to check that with Mac).

Or have a go with Google docs. It's free. You can work on your stuff anywhere, on any device, and you can save files as Word docs (and it reads Word docs as well).
Seconded on the Google docs. You can also open word docs up using Google docs and * usually * any track changes/comments transfer across.

I have to say, since I started using Google Docs, in combination with Google Drive, I've never looked back.

I have to say, since I started using Google Docs, in combination with Google Drive, I've never looked back.
They are great. I write all my blogs with Google Docs as the header styles transfer quite nicely onto the web. My only gripe is when I'm dealing with massively long documents i.e. 130k kind of long documents. It lags a bit when I try to move around in it (e.g. when editing). Shorter stuff though, not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you roof it without any scaffolding?

Question: Editors

Back