Querying & Synopsis Advice Videos

The Rookie!

Help! The query letter - looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
While researching ways of finessing my query letters and synopsis writing, I found two useful videos.

Harry Bingham is an experienced crime novelist who founded a writers' help group after having problems finding representation for his first novel. Originally called The Writers' Workshop it was recently renamed Jericho Writers.

Jericho Writers – We help get you published

The videos are about nine minutes long, and he gives some useful advice.

How to write a query letter:

How to write a great novel synopsis:

Jericho Writers offer a free query letter & synopsis builder:

Free submission pack builder | Jericho Writers

writing_humour_synopsis-scaled500.jpg

I read Harry Bingham's 'Getting Published' and that was an excellent insight into the world of literary agents and publishers and how to prepare a submission. It also dispelled a number of my naive ideas about the publishing market; like expecting to get a personalised response from a submission to a publisher/agent within just a couple of days. If only!

You will be bombarded with emails from them now they've got yours. Some are v. useful, so I haven't unsubscribed, but it's a hard sell they're on. I had an editorial report a couple of years ago, and in the end went with Cornerstones, who showed some individual interest. Jericho (or Writer's Workshop as it was then) just hassled endlessly but generically for me to go with them.

Haven't heard anything yet.

I watched the two videos that Paul kindly put up here, and I'm becoming increasingly confused. The Jericho/Bingham suggestions contradict in several points those made in the short How-To books by Nicola Morgan on Submissions and Synopses, which I parted with money for. (Not especially recommended.)
Neither of them agree with the info in the now rather dated (from the 90s) How-To book by the late Carole Blake. Taking my cue from her, my first covering letters were short to the point of terse, without any hint of blurb or promotion! Sadly, they were also stunningly unsuccessful.

Haven't heard anything yet.

I watched the two videos that Paul kindly put up here, and I'm becoming increasingly confused. The Jericho/Bingham suggestions contradict in several points those made in the short How-To books by Nicola Morgan on Submissions and Synopses, which I parted with money for. (Not especially recommended.)
Neither of them agree with the info in the now rather dated (from the 90s) How-To book by the late Carole Blake. Taking my cue from her, my first covering letters were short to the point of terse, without any hint of blurb or promotion! Sadly, they were also stunningly unsuccessful.
Have you checked your spam folder?

You will be bombarded with emails from them now they've got yours. Some are v. useful, so I haven't unsubscribed, but it's a hard sell they're on. I had an editorial report a couple of years ago, and in the end went with Cornerstones, who showed some individual interest. Jericho (or Writer's Workshop as it was then) just hassled endlessly but generically for me to go with them.
Quite right, the bombarding has started but I just ignore it as I do with most who bombard me... I just don't have that kind of time or energy to give them the attention they ask for.

So... I've watched the Jericho Writers' video, and I've worked through the first page of examples eviscerated by Query Shark, and my conclusion is that UK and American agents are expecting entirely different approach styles and query structures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rookie!

Help! The query letter - looking for advice.

Back