Storytelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraUS

Basic
Apr 4, 2021
United States
Hi all,
A while back @AgentPete mentioned that a query should include a mention of why we think our book should be published now.

I have enough trouble with the "why you?" but even more with how to word the "why now?" statement.

Things I think:
because I ain't getting any younger
because I don't want my near future book to become historical fiction
All tongue in cheek, of course.

Maybe because: the climate crisis is a timely topic?

Or a combination of why you/why now for a digital first publisher: I am interested in (PUBLISHING CO. NAME) because your 'digital first' strategy will ensure my story on the timely topic of climate change is published quickly or:
After I say something about why them, I could add: PUBLISHING CO.'s NAME digital first strategy will also ensure . . . ")

In a separate question - if an agent/editor says they like "romantic thrillers" - does that mean a thriller that includes some romance or a thriller whose plot focuses on the romance?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have enough trouble with the "why you?" but even more with how to word the "why now?" statement.

Things I think:
because I ain't getting any younger
because I don't want my near future book to become historical fiction
All tongue in cheek, of course.

LOL! But in all seriousness (and ask a huddle for Pete's thoughts), my gut says you don't have to answer a 'why now' question on your query. When you've signed an agent, that's when I'd have the conversation, before they send your work out to editors.

if an agent/editor says they like "romantic thrillers" - does that mean a thriller that includes some romance or a thriller whose plot focuses on the romance?

To me, that says main plot thriller, subplot romance :)

"romantic thrillers" - does that mean a thriller that includes some romance or a thriller whose plot focuses on the romance?
If the 'romantic' comes first, that's the main genre, and it's a thriller within a romance. Not sure how they'd say thriller with romance, though, but most thrillers have a touch of something about close relationships [it's often one of the stakes that causes the MC to act].

In a separate question - if an agent/editor says they like "romantic thrillers" - does that mean a thriller that includes some romance or a thriller whose plot focuses on the romance?
Good question. I think the balance would depend on the individual agent.

I have come to believe that agents deliberately make their wish-list wide and fluid, so: A. they can be flexible as trends change, sometimes quickly;
B. they don't miss out on the 'next big thing', without being able to predict it.

That's my charitable view. You don't want to hear what I say when I get: "I didn't think it was quite right for my list" when it seemed the agent's description was spot-on for what I sent!

I've never heard of putting that in a query. I think most stress comps in query to show where it fits in the market (that would be why it would sell). And I am always told comps should be no more than five years old. But these are all great questions to ask Pete in the huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewrite

Storytelling

Back