Writing Killer Synopses & Book Proposals

News SoA, WGGB hybrid publishing report coming 'later this month'

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
THIS RELATES TO U.S. QUERYING

I have just discovered that in cases where U.S. agencies list the the items they want to see in your email query subject line AND the form in which these are wanted, this can be more than frivolous nit-picking. If your email query subject line is not in the required form, the query/submission may not be received at the agency. (Goes into Spam, I suppose.)

A recent poster on Publishers Marketplace (sorry, no, it doesn't have an apostrophe...) pointed out that two separate queries to Agency X had received no acknowledgement, despite the agency having undertaken to send automatic receipt confirmation messages to every query received. A rapidly following identical query with the email subject line EXACTLY as described on the website had, however, received, by return, an automated message.

I had seen that on several agency websites the text said something like this:
"The word 'Query' must be in the subject line, plus the agent’s name, i.e. – Subject: Query, Annie Smith, women’s fiction."
I vaguely thought, "They must either be a very literal-minded lot, or they think we are all very thick.." It never occurred to me (yes, thick) that they did in fact require this information EXACTLY as specified. All of it, nothing more, and not accidentally in a different order, or maybe in capitals...

Obviously when agencies ask for different things – like old UK favourite double-spaced 12pt Times New Roman – different length excerpts, and must all be in the body of the text and NO attachments, it has always seemed wise and diplomatic to do as asked. Now it seems it's absolutely imperative.

BTW, also noticed some U.S. agencies have almost shouted "And NO title pages". Makes sense, I suppose, if you only have 10 – or particularly just 5 – pages to play with, not to waste one.

I think it is probably something simpler than that. I suspect they likely have an inbox filter set up to include certain keywords e.g. "Query" and "attn: [agent name]" "[genre]" to help sort the mail that comes through, especially when queries are mixed up client emails, publisher emails, industry news, etc.

"...using computers to help lighten the load and that has the added advantage of weeding out authors who can't follow instructions.."

Indeed, I had got that.

What I wanted to flag up, to warn about, was that none of the agencies I saw doing this specified it was necessary to set out the email subject line PRECISELY as described, or the query would fail to get through. So you might be completely wasting your time – putting the required information in the wrong order, for example – and never know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writing Killer Synopses & Book Proposals

News SoA, WGGB hybrid publishing report coming 'later this month'

Back