Question: Published content on blog

Question: Anybody heard back from the Berkley open submission?

Exercise Book hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it depends, but anything over 75 years old is public domain (think the UK is the same as Australia on this).

Yes, but I wrote it and it's in an anthology.

Ahh, I see. So I'd be checking whether you gave your rights to the poem away (not sure how that would work without signing a contract). My instinct says you haven't signed your away rights, but I'd want to check whether it has been implied (again, not sure where you'd look for that).

My post here is probably not the most helpful post but just a couple of thoughts.

Not sure where you stand, re: posting the cover of their publication, which is obvs theirs, on your blog. Then again, if you were a shop you'd be listing their publication hence that very cover. I have no clue.

As for your poem, I obvs don't know who holds the copyright of your story now, but even if you still have the rights to use it elsewhere, would a screenshot of your story in THEIR publication be a grey area? No clue but maybe worth looking into. In essence you're 'reproducing' (is that the right word) their work. But I really don't know.

Maybe email them and ask them. They might agree on the basis they like the publicity.

Last edited:
I have a section in my blog where I've put up the cover of a publication in which I have a short story or poem. Would it be OK, copyright wise, if I included a screenshot of the actual short story or poem?
If you retained copyright of the poem and did not agree not to publish it elsewhere, then you are within your rights to quote it. If the publisher or someone else now holds copyright, then you need their permission. Most likely, they would grant permission, since you are quoting only a part of the published book, and your citation of it should lead to increased book sales.

Practically speaking, I would just show the screenshot. If the publishers have a problem, they will let you know. Most likely, they will be thrilled at the free PR you are giving them and the book. If they are smart enough to publish you, then they are smart enough to feel gratitude that you are helping them promote the book and their own good name.

Question: Could you give us all a link to your blog? I'd love to follow it, and I am sure others in Litopia would as well.

If you retained copyright of the poem and did not agree not to publish it elsewhere, then you are within your rights to quote it. If the publisher or someone else now holds copyright, then you need their permission. Most likely, they would grant permission, since you are quoting only a part of the published book, and your citation of it should lead to increased book sales.

Practically speaking, I would just show the screenshot. If the publishers have a problem, they will let you know. Most likely, they will be thrilled at the free PR you are giving them and the book. If they are smart enough to publish you, then they are smart enough to feel gratitude that you are helping them promote the book and their own good name.

Question: Could you give us all a link to your blog? I'd love to follow it, and I am sure others in Litopia would as well.

My post here is probably not the most helpful post but just a couple of thoughts.

Not sure where you stand, re: posting the cover of their publication, which is obvs theirs, on your blog. Then again, if you were a shop you'd be listing their publication hence that very cover. I have no clue.

As for your poem, I obvs don't know who holds the copyright of your story now, but even if you still have the rights to use it elsewhere, would a screenshot of your story in THEIR publication be a grey area? No clue but maybe worth looking into. In essence you're 'reproducing' (is that the right word) their work. But I really don't know.

Maybe email them and ask them. They might agree on the basis they like the publicity.
Good idea. I've emailed them.

Look at the folio at the beginning of the book. It will state whether reproduction and distribution mechanically, digitally etc of any part of the published work, except for review purposes is forbidden without express permission of the publisher (it normally is).

There was a problem at few years back of people quoting or uploading page images of big chunks of books on websites and surrounding them with Google advertising. Hence publishers now including "digitally'.

If you ask and get written permission, you're covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Anybody heard back from the Berkley open submission?

Exercise Book hunting

Back