Promotion and marketing

Frequent readers make the best lovers

Liar, liar pants on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty

Basic
Jan 4, 2015
For those of you self publishing I know that marketing and promotion can be a real sticking point, but if you haven't already come across it ALLi (the Alliance of Independent Authors) have a lot of helpful advice and ideas on their website.

ALLi is a really useful site, and they just posted a well-considered rebuttal of the recent announcement that ebook sales were down by 17%. This news made the columns of many newspapers that should have known better than to take it as gospel, without investigating what the statistics were based on.

It turns out, that the survey only samples books with ISBNs from big publishers. It's possible to upload an ebook onto Amazon without an ISBN, so millions of sales were ignored, meaning the survey only took into account 62% of transactions.

http://selfpublishingadvice.org/self-publishing-news-ebooks-are-not-in-crisis/

As Mark Twain observed: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Yes, ALLi is a great resource! I did one of their online conferences a while back, and got lots of useful stuff from it. I've signed up for another (in June, I think) that's all about marketing. Very helpful info on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frequent readers make the best lovers

Liar, liar pants on fire

Back