Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Staff member
Guardian
Mar 1, 2020
Hi all,

I'm experimenting with recording some stories and I have a rather annoying earth loop hum on a mic and headset combo which is straight plug and play via USB. If if run laptop on battery only then loop goes.

The integral mini-boom mic is not exactly state-of-the art so I have a few questions if someone might know the answers I'd be really most grateful.. Thanks in advance.

1. If I touch the metal casing on my laptop as I record, the loop hum is cancelled and dies away and the audio is reasonable but not hi-fi as such. I suspect it's down to the cheapo mic on the headset. If I got a better mic would the earth loop be likely to disappear, or as I suspect, might it still be there (asking this as in what might you have found in your experience) as I know there's no definite answer to this. But playing bands over the years it was rare not to get earth loops on stage with guitar amps etc. I see several USB mics out there that claim "studio quality" but one man's studio quality might be another man's chip fryer. Just wondering what you folks use. Also would there also be a significant improvement in audio quality with one of these better mics - again in your experience? (not talking Neumann mega money prices :eek: ). I've seen some in £25-£40 price bracket.

2. A better option might be to record the voice on my iPhone then load that onto something like Reaper or Audacity to mix down and add other stuff. Thing is, Apple sound files are M4A and I don't think these can be directly imported into Reaper or Audacity etc. Do any of you use your phones, and if so what do you use to convert the M4a to say MP3? I know there are several sound file converters online. Does anyone use them?

Thanks again in advance.

J

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to the first question, but I think the iPhone mic and recording is excellent quality (@AgentPete posted a video, I'll find it).

I've used Freac (free sound converter - and excellent app/thing- not sure it would do what you wanted but I'd ask my old friend Google about that.

Hope this helps a bit...

Brilliant, thanks @Emily. I’ll experiment with that to see what results I get.

If you do find the video that’d be fab.

I actually record the subs on my mobile, but it's an android, so not sure if that makes a difference. You can probably download an app on iPhones that allows you to record as an MP3 on your phone.

I actually record the subs on my mobile, but it's an android, so not sure if that makes a difference. You can probably download an app on iPhones that allows you to record as an MP3 on your phone.
Did you have an app already on the phone, or did you download one (if so which one)? I've an android and need to get into the recording thing. I've no clue (yet) how to, but want to learn.

My recording experience is limited to sticking cellotape over the side of a tape.

It's extraordinary how much the audio quality of mobile phones has improved in recent years, Robert's recordings are always great - I didn't know you used an Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't decide

Hello!

Back