Help! Please Help Me Fix My Book's Title! (No More DREAMING...No More TESLA!)

Books are....

Publishers of books on politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like that the Archangels are hep dudes into jazz.
But there's a tv show called Reclamation, and it's probably just me, but I had visions of up-cycling furniture.
Because Reclamation isn't a word associated with sci-fi.
Reclamation Factor made me think of Simon Cowell in a scrap yard. I'm so sorry - is just where my head went.

And I'm not sure about the sub-title - it seems a lot for people to remember when recommending the book to each other. Plus, a sub-title suggests the main title isn't strong enough/explanatory on its own.
Well CRAP! And also...alas. I was really liking that one. It seems that 90% of writing a successful book these days is finding an original title. It's like musi: we only have 12 notes to play with...and always must come up with something new. Nothing for it. The quest continues... and that is one of the reasons I'm here :p

Howz about one of these:
(No subtitle)

Gift of the Archangels
Archangel Shrift
Shrift
Archangel Directive
Cold Restart
Archangel Assist
Unlikely Sources
Unlikely Angels
The Archangel Dream

Well CRAP! And also...alas. I was really liking that one. It seems that 90% of writing a successful book these days is finding an original title. It's like musi: we only have 12 notes to play with...and always must come up with something new. Nothing for it. The quest continues... and that is one of the reasons I'm here :p

Howz about one of these:
(No subtitle)

Gift of the Archangels
Archangel Shrift
Shrift
Archangel Directive
Cold Restart
Archangel Assist
Unlikely Sources
Unlikely Angels
The Archangel Dream
And of course:

The Archangel Factor

Howz about one of these:
(No subtitle)

Gift of the Archangels
Archangel Shrift
Shrift
Archangel Directive
Cold Restart
Archangel Assist
Unlikely Sources
Unlikely Angels
The Archangel Dream
And of course:

The Archangel Factor

Sorry, what that says to me is some form of spiritualism or the like.
Pity. But understood. How about one of the above?

Archangel Directive could be worked with to become more sci-fi.
The Cosmic Directive of Archangels, perhaps, which puts the sci into the opening words???

The Future Directives of Archangels and Jazz (yeah, okay, that's not it, but you get the game? Play the sci-fi strongest if it's the sci-fi market the story is the market)

Maybe look within the story to find an excerpt that does both sci-fi and humour and condense those words into the title (readers love when they figure it out, too).

Howz about one of these:
(No subtitle)

Gift of the Archangels
Archangel Shrift
Shrift
Archangel Directive
Cold Restart
Archangel Assist
Unlikely Sources
Unlikely Angels
The Archangel Dream
Or simply

Unlikely

Archangel Directive could be worked with to become more sci-fi.
The Cosmic Directive of Archangels, perhaps, which puts the sci into the opening words???

The Future Directives of Archangels and Jazz (yeah, okay, that's not it, but you get the game? Play the sci-fi strongest if it's the sci-fi market the story is the market)

Maybe look within the story to find an excerpt that does both sci-fi and humour and condense those words into the title (readers love when they figure it out, too).
Hmmm... what do you think of simply

Cosmic Directive

Also, have you watched this, yet? As you're a full member, it's free.
https://colony.litopia.com/threads/writing-killer-titles.10148/
WHOA! @RG Worsey ...I just started watching this...WHAT A GOLD MINE! Ok...since I'm not being gifted with Divine Inspiration for this title at the moment, I will give it a listen, get to work, and then return here with some juicy contenders...if not a PERFECT TITLE! BTW: I feel that the book itself was created via Divine Inspiration, so if I have to work for the title...small price to pay! In fact, I READ this book, more than WROTE it...just spilled right out! (which of course meant five complete edits! :p ). Ok...off to a concert (#giglife) then back at it tomorrow. I shall return Y'all!!

PS: @AgentPete : Do you think that as soon as I have this magic title (your seminar is fabulous BTW) that we should change it as far as the HOZ pitch goes?

Lol, if you go back to your initial post, you'll see that's where Jazz saved the World came from, not me. Was being tongue in cheek with that, because it seemed that everything that had since resonated stemmed from that idea, so maybe you got it right earlier?

I liked my other suggestion, which was Jazz Versus the Apocalypse. But again, wasn't 100% on it.

I've had similar problems with my own teen title. As a kid I was intrigued by books that had unusual words in their titles - Alan Garner's Elidor, or The Weirdstone of Brisingamen. So I called my book after the character that the whole book is a search for - The Essa-Hebbren. Yeah, well, this fell flat as a pancake on Pop-ups, lol.
I spent some time asking for suggestions, running try-outs on other people, then Googling the heck out of any that seemed good, in order to see if they were already taken and well established.
I've settled on one that, over time, is one I keep coming back to, and which feels right. It covers some of the main elements of the story (is a new 'take' on Sleeping Beauty), and is getting a positive reaction. But mostly, after looking at so many choices, it is the one that I know fits the best. And others may have a different opinion, but I think this one sits comfortably with me, and I therefore I have confidence in it. (By the way, it is SpindleSpell.)

So don't forget to give yourself time to find one that is the right fit for you. Let things sink in. See which one you keep coming back to. You know all the details of your story, so only you will know when titles chime for you, rather than go clunk.

xxx
Jazz for the Apocalypse? this doesn't quite work.

I added a word in my head: Smooth Jazz for the Apocalypse
I think this works better.

I should note, it works because I think the internal rhythm is better. I have no idea what works for your story.
I was less sure than others that Tesla automatically means Musk today, and i'm very much saddened that Tesla has been lost to us because of Musk.

A close friend is a fairly well regarded jazz musician in the US (so, not regarded much at all as he would note). The smooth was added because I have been told on many nights out that there is no money at all in jazz that isn't smooth and while jazz musicians all play mostly non-smooth stuff, come the christmas season they're all green with envy over kenny g's album.

Thanks everyone SO much! Ok...the search continues, but I am beyond the moon with all of your thoughtful suggestions and expertise! After a thorough analysis of @AgentPete's great seminar, and a huddle (or two!) I shall return with the latest (and hopefully...the greatest! :p )

How about THE TESLA ANTHEM. Or TESLA's ANTHEM.
I like it, but using the word "Tesla" is generally frowned upon by the Genius Room of Litopia as sadly, it reminds people of Elon Musk and the car, rather than the genius Nikola Tesla. In my story, Nikola plays an important role indeed, but I agree with said Geniuses (Genii? :p )that Tesla should be left off of the title.

OK, you did say no more DREAMING or TESLA. I failed to 'grock' that. Sorry. How about THE NEW MAESTRO OF SAGAN?
MAESTRO ON THE RUN?
Nice Heinleinian terminology!:p I like your suggestions, but the word 'Maestro' suggests the symphonic world to me. My story is from the voice of the future underground jazz community.

Without knowing more about your character...how about using your name tag JAZZISIMO in some way. JAZZISIMO STORMS SAGAN...or HEADLINES IN SAGAN. I'm not a musician, nor do I know the lingo of the jazz world but a riff on Thelonious Monk came to mind: MELODIOUS PUNK TAKES SAGAN. But these may be losing sight of your target readers.

Without knowing more about your character...how about using your name tag JAZZISIMO in some way. JAZZISIMO STORMS SAGAN...or HEADLINES IN SAGAN. I'm not a musician, nor do I know the lingo of the jazz world but a riff on Thelonious Monk came to mind: MELODIOUS PUNK TAKES SAGAN. But these may be losing sight of your target readers.
Thanks George. I think that those are all wonderful (ESPECIALLY MELODIOUS PUNK...THAT name simple MUST show up in a later story...and it WILL!) However, I just enjoyed a STELLAR Huddle session with the gang today and I think we are well on the road to nailing down a great title. Once it becomes official, I will announce it here. Thanks, man:victory-hand::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Books are....

Publishers of books on politics

Back