Our deepest fear....

The trouble with having an open mind....

Next to trying and winning

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”

Marianne Williamson

iu

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”

Marianne Williamson

iu
Hmm. I disagree. I have spent a lot of wasted time fighting the fear of inadequacy, perhaps because, as a lecturer, the science people around me were brain-boxes, discussed statistical applications over my head, while my brain was filling itself with whimsical lines and verses of poetry. Conference dinners were a nightmare. I WAS inadequate.
The students loved my lectures though. I said, "Talk to the others about statistics. I'm going to give you life."

I like the expression 'back yourself'

Me too. The overconfidence of youth is a wonderful thing but those who have lost their youth warn against it, claiming it to be dangerous. A threat to the future security of life which itself doesn't exist. I was fearless in my youth and luckily escaped from the straight jacket of a much sought after job in the City of London which would no doubt have bought me lots of money but I shudder at the thought of missing all the wonderful experiences I've had in its place.

The trouble with having an open mind....

Next to trying and winning

Back