• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

On Tomorrow's Pop-Ups...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it had anything to do with solar storm activity. There is a big hole right now producing a solar wind due to arrive on the 17th (Thursday). A G2 solar storm can easily mess up satellites and if it goes on for a long time it can damage high latitude transformers. SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
Volcanic activity is a bit higher this week too and some associate it with sun spot activity. VolcanoDiscovery: volcanoes worldwide - news, info, photos, and tours to volcanoes and volcanic areas, earthquake information
A football field sized asteroid will fly between the earth and the moon tomorrow - quite a week. I wonder what the uncertainty was in that measurement. 0.5+-0.3 LD? It was expected to be visible in the sky of the southern hemisphere.
JPL Small-Body Database Browser more data, please NASA..
Not that these sorts of flybys are unusual: How a Football Field-Size Asteroid Caught Us by Surprise
I know that the literature says that there is no correlation between sunspot positions and planetary orbits, but my inner crackpot sees Jupiter lined up with earth, and I can't help but associate the sunspot with a gravitational shadow from Jupiter.
(my geophysics education is not good - I'm only qualified for crank-level speculation on this topic)

Cool.

I know that the literature says that there is no correlation between sunspot positions and planetary orbits, but my inner crackpot sees Jupiter lined up with earth, and I can't help but associate the sunspot with a gravitational shadow from Jupiter.

Fabulous stuff! We’re all clearly living right on the edge…
Thinking about holidays, that’s why I love Naples so much. Living under a sodding great volcano – which will take a chunk of Europe with it when it blows – infuses the place with intensity. Memento mori… but for now, let’s party...

Jupiter hurled thunderbolts. And so he does in a manner of speaking. The ancients knew but Earth will be just fine tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back