• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Nice to be here

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!
LitBits
Hello,

I found the PopUp Submissions on YT and that brought me here.

I live in Copenhagen. My avourites are the great storytellers, Ken Follett, Stephen King, Anthony Horowitch. I like fantastic settings, but not the magical elements that usually comes with these settings. Star Wars would be so much better without The Force.

Writing is a hobby.

Vegetarian coffee addict.

London and Italy are favourite destinations. The countries and cities of middle Europe I only began visiting before you-know-what.

Airship lover, and yes, I have flown in one.

Welcome aboard @JohnBertel :) I'm going to have to agree to disagree about the force too, and I'm just a casual watcher of Star Wars, but I'm a geek of structure and stories, and it's one of the best. Bear with me, the main theme in Star Wars wouldn't have existed without the force i.e. technology v the force, because at that pivotal moment in the climax Luke completes the theme and chooses the force.

I hope you like it here :)

Hi John

Welcome to the Colony! Great to have you on board. Any questions about the site, please message me. I'm one of the Guardians and always happy to help.

Do check out the Colony Notices to familiarize yourself with how the site works – The Prime Directive is the foundation of our ethos. For literary chat and general socializing, Café Life is THE place to be. We also have a Flash Club to stretch your writing muscles, and a poetry area, plus much more.

So get stuck in. You'll see that the more you put in, the more you get out.

Welcome aboard @JohnBertel :) I'm going to have to agree to disagree about the force too, and I'm just a casual watcher of Star Wars, but I'm a geek of structure and stories, and it's one of the best. Bear with me, the main theme in Star Wars wouldn't have existed without the force i.e. technology v the force, because at that pivotal moment in the climax Luke completes the theme and chooses the force.

I hope you like it here :)

Thank you so much RK!

I agree the story structure in SW is one of the best and that the force is a perfectly integrated part of the story and theme. But on a more plot mechanical level, it becomes iffy. It only works on the weak-minded, but who is weak-minded or not seems to depend a lot on the need of the plot. And it can do an awful lot of things like lifting a spaceship, but it can't release it from a tractor beam.

It would be another story but you could still have the spaceships, the planets and even the Jedis without the force.

Hi @JohnBertel

A very warm welcome to Litopia.

The link below is a great place to start and will assist you as you navigate around the site. It should help you find some things you might like to get involved with.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Back